• 2 Post By Bananableps
  • 2 Post By hydrophyte
  • 12 Post By jcmv4792

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first riparium - 48g

Just started my first riparium a few days ago. I have three peace lilies in there so far with the finnex planted+ about 15" above the planters. I was just wondering if this puts the riparium into low or medium light. What types of plants would you recommend for this? I am already thinking of putting acorus(japanese sweetflag) but would also like some lower growing plants as well. Would helxine sol. be a good choice or does it require bright light?

Last edited by jcmv4792; 09-26-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
don't have a answer to the question but that looks great
jcmv4792 and jcmv4792 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Really lovely looking tank.

I don't know a lot about emergently growing plants, but it's my impression that there isn't a lot of submerged plant growth in blackwater. I think the set up looks good as-is, and it will look even better when you can remove that rock which I am assuming is required to hold down the driftwood

If you're really eager to add some aquatic action, how about some moss attached to the driftwood at exactly the water line? There always seems to be a lot of life where water meets land.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks ya'll. Here is an updated shot. The white planter slightly right of center is distracting so I will be swapping that out for a black/clear one. Submerged plants are covered in algae due to the ammonia(fishless cycle) and high light. But I have so far added plecos and amano shrimp so they should have plenty to eat now.

added acorus sweet flag, and echinodorus cordifolius 'marble queen' for the emergent plants. Also have some hydrocotyle growing on the emergeing branches.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 03:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Doesn't really look like you need any scaping help! That tank is great looking.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusSex
If you're really eager to add some aquatic action, how about some moss attached to the driftwood at exactly the water line? There always seems to be a lot of life where water meets land.
haha I actually had mini christmass moss on the branches(half under and half over water). Ended up losing it to bga I think(smelled like bad seaweed). Any ideas on why that happened? I wonder if it was the high ammonia(dosed ammonia to 4ppm for fishless cycling), or if I planted the moss too thick.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Unfortunately, I don't really have a lot of experience with high ammonia levels. My tanks are just that clean

Might as well try again soon!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Looking good!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Any updates for this tank?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Any updates for this tank?
I am currently out of the country. Will post updates once I get back.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update

Haven't touched this tank in 2-3 weeks due to leaving the country. A bit of green algae growth on the submerged portion of manzanita.

Plants have really grown out. Before I left I snipped off the single leafed echinodorus 'marble queen' and it has sprouted new leaves while I was gone. The hydrocotyle has also spread along the branches above the water line. Acorus is slow.. not as much growth on those plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode