Got a 10g Aquarium and some lumber.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Got a 10g Aquarium and some lumber..

What do you think? My friend gave me his old 10g, and I have been wanting to do a serious half and half for awhile. I have no idea what is going to be going on except my African Dwarf Frog is moving into the 10g tank with a partition so she can share it with a Betta. I have never grown any immersed plants before, so any suggestions would be helpful. One question off of the top of my head is, I plan on having plants in the 10g being both submerged and immersed, while also having plants in pots behind, what lights should I be looking at? The only thing I know is to use halide lights, but I think that would be way crazy too much light, and heat. Anyway, thanks.

Last edited by Fishumms; 08-22-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 2

So I got around to doing a little more work. I think you can kind of see what I am going for now a little clearer.

Also, I included on photo of my only other current tank.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Planted Member

That's a neat approach. I've never seen a paludarium done that way. Subscribed

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Oh that's pretty cool, are you going to build a ramp or something to transition from land to water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

sort of. I was planning on either putting a lip of that faux grass stuff, or taking a piece of driftwood and taking a router to it so it "fits" on that lip. As it stands, the "land" or plywood is only a 1/4" from the water surface.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Firebelly Toads:A Few Words of Advice Would Be Appreciated

So I've been looking around at a few places, and thinking, what is going to live in this thing? I think I am at the point where I am going to have to make at least a cursory decision.
I really want Firebelly toads to live in here, but I have heard that they are mildly toxic enough to kill aquatic companions. And the major reason I got a second tank was to house my African Dwarf Frogs. Then I got my drill gun and my jigsaw out and all hell broke lose.
Anyway, take a look at the pics and see what you think. The area is basically a 10g with a 15"hX20"wX24"d area placed on top. That means roughly two 10"x12" areas of land and water. I was originally designing it with an eye to keeping tree frogs or firebellys, but I think I should have made it taller if I really wanted tree frogs.
But I don't know if this setup just has too much water for anything that lives on the ground. I have see a lot of firebelly habitats, and they all have just a little pool. I am going to put a plexiglass "shelf" in the tank that will be like 1" deep. Everyone says they are semi aquatic and that they only climb mildly. I have a lot of drift wood I have been saving for this project so there will be lots to climb. I guess I just figured, people can only tell me so much. I can actually show you guys this thing and I'm sure someone knows what these critters like, so I figured I'd ask. So what do you think?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Almost Done

So here are a few more pics of the terrarium on top of an aquarium thing. I have a female Betta in the tank now. everything is permanent now so I felt ok beginning to cycle the tank. Plus I really wanted to make sure I hadn't screwed myself over and made it impossible to get into. seems ok so far. I am going to make the front a door so I can reach the tank easily, and the top is going to be removable as well. I have some left over door screen that I am stretching on a frame. I guess I'll probably put up some more pics in a month or so when I actually get some frogs. Anyone got any suggestions?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That is SOOOOOO COOL!!!!

Firebelled toads would probably work. It could kill the frog(s) though. Are you going to grow live plants in the top? Or are you sticking with fake?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. It has been a lot of work. The two pots are for live plants. It is my first try with EVERYTHING all in one thing, so I started small. The aquarium is planted though and kind of heavily. I guess I'll include a pic. The filter is in there because it's new. The betta has been in there for 3 days. The tank has been up for 5 days. Also if I am going to have a 60 watt on top for the other plants is the 60 watt flourescent to much? It's all low tech no nothing. The tank has the undergravel filter and the Zoo Med 501 for the waterfall. There is a big Java Fern some moss on the driftwood, a bunch of anubus and some swords but I can't remember them all. There's like 5 kinds in there.

Also, would the firebellys be toxic to the fish? I might put some newts in there actually, instead of the African Dwarf Frogs.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looks good, you could do tadpoles and then let them grow into frogs in that thing, but IDK what they need, also, I think those toads make the water more acidic or something, but some types of fish are OK I think, how's the Zoo Med 501 working for you on the 10 gallon? I know you said you had a UGF, but does the Zoo Med do most of the filtration?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It seems like the Zoo Med does most of the work. When I hooked it up it cleared up the water in under 24 hours when I first filled the tank. I think what helps a lot though is the water fall tank that I put up on top. I filled it with about 1/2" of gravel and sand so that it would get a lot of flow, even thought the water is slow moving. I currently have 4 fish in there, 3 Danio and a female Betta. They have been in there 2 weeks, and seem okay. There was a little bit if fighting, at first. All of this having been said, if I were really keeping turtles or something else that dirty I think the 501 would just barely be able to handle it if really filter enough water at all. I recall that they sold a larger version for like 30g tanks, and if I could do it over I might have gone for the larger size.

As for the frogs, I actually have about 15 tadpoles in another tank, they are very small since most of them were originally eggs when I got them. They are some kind of tree frog, so I don't think I will keep them in this low enclosure for too long, but it should be good to raise them in. I am thinking of putting in a shelf so they can more easily climb out of the water as well.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very cool looking!!

I have no advice 'cause I've never seen anything like it.

Can't wait to see the continuing journey of the set up!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finally Finished, Pic Heavy, be warned.

Specs:

25w UVB Bulb, 15w CFL on top and on aquarium.

Zoo Med 501 and UGF filtration.

current occupants 7 tadpoles. I think they have about 4 more weeks, maybe more. They are about 3 weeks old.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

a few more pics

just a few more pics.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That's really neat. I've never seen a vivarium done that way. Nice job.

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode