Biopod, hi-tech micro-environment with smart phone interface - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Biopod, hi-tech micro-environment with smart phone interface

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...animals-pets#/

looking at building a vivarium for a red eyed skink over the next year, ran across this the other day and was wondering what veteran riparium/vivarium keepers thought of it.

i know pretty much nothing about keeping reptiles and only slightly more about vivariums. but i loved the idea of this. but that doesn't mean it's as awesome as i think it is.

so, thoughts?

-nakeeta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't know anything about vivariums, but that looks pretty cool.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

looks neato

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seems a bit over the top to me, esp from a riparium/fish keeping standpoint (also how do they keep fish in it with a swinging front door?) Not very flexible as to what you can put in it size wise..

If you want something like it a mist/fog system on a timer, heater with temp controller, lights with ramping,etc are all available and easily implemented in whatever size tank you want to use... And if you want to get fancy, there are diy options to get real world conditions or use one of the fancier controllers to do that as well.

All told it's nifty, but it is very much greater towards the novice rather than experienced keeper who likes to have more control and flexibility

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i'm not necessarily opposed to the novice aspect. i think i probably need the novice aspect, really. i've never kept something like this, vivarium or reptile before. anything that keeps me from killing the little guy while i learn what to do and what not to do i'm all for. and i'm a tech addict, so, the shinier the better.

there are actually 5 different "tank" styles, one of which has what looks to be roughly 6" of solid aquarium on the bottom with a hanging platform centered in the middle for land while the entire underneath is open water. you can see them all here: Products | Biopod

these sorts of engineered biotops generally are very gimmicky though, and often times you find out they limit you more than they help you, and i can see how a veteran keeper would find that frustrating as you'd want the flexibility to do all kinds of custom things with it.

-nakeeta

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode