post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Gallon Long Fire Belly Newt Paludarium

tank : Aquarium Masters 20-gallon long
substrate : ADA Sarawak Sand
filter : Zoomed 501 + small sponge filter + air-pump
hardscape : 1 Redmoor Branch
fauna : 9 Cynops Orientalis (Fire Belly Newts)
flora : Bolbitis, Mini Java Fern, Water Spangles (From my 20-gallon tall)
lighting : Coralife 2-strip 1 T5NO 10k, and 1 actinic (going to get rid of both bulbs eventually and just get some normal T5NO lights)
inspiration : Shadow's octopus branches!

Hi everyone... Here's a small update on this tank. I also have an axolotl tank in the works. Really excited about them.

May 3rd, 2010

Just wanted to share some photos of the latest plant additions : more java fern and bolbitis + some smaller rocks.

Also decided I hate this lighting (it came with the fixture). I'm going out and getting 2 30-inch 6500K T5NO today. Anyone want one 10K bulb and one actinic bulb, both T5NO for free? :O

I ordered some nano-trellis rafts + riparium cups from Riparium Supply. I don't know what to put in the cups, but I know I want bolbitis on the rafts. I am open to suggestions and advice about emmersed plants.

Full tank shot.

Spray-bar + small penn-plax (basically a plastic box with a sponge and some charcoal) hooked up to an air pump. It creates a small current and filters out some additional funk.. The newts are really messy.

Too many?

Forgot one...

I still have that 60-F to setup. It's going to be heavily planted, possibly with pressurized CO2, definitely with emmersed plants.

April 30, 2010

I just setup a 20 gallon tall paludarium. I have this love for fire-bellied newts, so I wanted to create a haven for them. I have 9 of them in this 20 gallon long, and so far they seem to be ok.

This is officially my fourth planted freshwater aquarium. I love this hobby, too bad it's making me broke :P

This is officially my fourth planted freshwater aquarium. I love this hobby, too bad it's making me broke :P

Here are pictures :

I skipped the "I am filling my tank with sand... I am filling my tank with water..." portion, and went straight to the full tank shot. Obviously the tank isn't finished yet, but I do plan to pack it full of java fern / bolbitis / java moss, while creating some more terrestrial areas. (Can you spot all the newts?)

From the front view. I began filling this tank 2/3rds of the way, thinking about ratios and gold and what not, but decided it looked pretty good and stopped it there. Eventually I might plan to do a half-black background, but I'm digging the no-background look.

A close-up Such cute little creatures...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by benon; 05-17-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Planted Member

Very nice, I was just looking at an empty 25 gallon upstairs with a small crack in it wondering what I could do with it... I may have just figured it out with your help
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Wow, looks great. Some rocks around the base of that wood would be nice

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Algae Grower

Firebellies are fun! how do you feed them? i have 2 one crawl out and left me ;(. And one is just hanging in my feeder fish tank

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys.

I feed them blackworms. I'm going to start trying to culture them myself in a little plastic bin. I wanted to be able to promote some natural foraging behavior for them, so I let them roam around and find patches of food. I feed em every other day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode