Help! I'm new to this and about to give up beacuse of fungus!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Help! I'm new to this and about to give up beacuse of fungus!!!

I have three green Anoles. two female.

IT's stressing me out bad! I have a Perfect set up a 20H with lots of branches a glass pool with a heater and frog moss. I still cant keep the humidity to 80% and the wood wont stop getting fungus!

My biggest problem is *removed language* FUNGUS! I've boiled THE WOOD millions of times then baked in the oven, I ran it through the dish washer a bunch without soap of course, I've clean the entire tank 5 times already and the fungus keeps coming back unless there is some miracle spray I can get I'm getting rid of the Anoles today.

I've tried using a glass pool large enough to keep humidity up with a heater in it but that doesn't last all day even with the screen top more than half covered! I live in Colorado so its dry.

Every time I spray the fungus grows on the wood I *removed language* Sick of it!

I Spent A LOT OF MONEY ON THIS TANK FOR THE GREEN ANOLES SO IF DOSNT WORK IS THERE A DESERT REPTILE THAT CAN LIVE IN A 20H AND WONT OUT GROW IT???????

Last edited by sewingalot; 06-10-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: PG language only!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

From what I understand from reading posts if its white fungus just release springtails on it. They should eradicate the problem and feed your anoles.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Wink Thank You

Ya its white fungus and there is also some green to blue spots but some one else said that is algea.

I'm more worried about the fungus cause it takes over. I'm going to start keeping a tooth brush by the tank and scrub the algea off every other day.

Once a week I doo take out everything scrub it with hot water and let the wood dry in the oven. I just got doing that and am ready to put in back in the tank. Also I believe i was keeping it too moist cause I read the anoles are fine with 70-60% humidity. I was keeping it at 80%-90% which may have been too high. I would think 75% would be Perfect it's just Colorado is so dry.

Anyways I will look those up to see what they are excatly and where I can purchase them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
u shouldnt have algae growing on the wood, it means the wood is wet for too long too often. unless the fungus and alga have formed a lichen (unlikely).

you could just let the fungus run its course, it most likely is not detrimental to the anoles. btw, how much did you spend on them, i thought they were relatively cheap lizards?
there are fungicides you could use. you could buy a moderate-strength (dont get agricultural strength fungicide, way too strong for your needs) at a gardening store, and use it to spray down your wood daily for a few days. make sure the fungicide is non-toxic to animals, or it could hurt the anoles.

first off, a huge help to humidity is keeping vascular plants (moss is not vascular). vines, and ferns, and bromeliads, and orchids. they transpirate, and increase the humidity. with moist soil and enough plants, you shouldnt need to mist more than 2x a day to keep the humidity about 70%.
if you really have lots of trouble, you may want to buy a pane of acrylic at HomeDepot and use that as the terrarium cover (youll have to cut it too fit and drill a few small holes in it).

dont give up! its just a bit of fungus on you wood. in any case it seems to make more sense to replace the wood than the anoles in that case.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

Just leave it alone and pick off the fungus until it stops growing back. That's what I do to all my fungus-on-wood.

When you boil the wood you might be promoting fungus growth, but that's just speculation.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Planted Member

The type of wood does make a difference. If I recall, ghost wood always grows fungus. Do you know what type it is?

I have learned to make peace with most of the things that grow in my vivarium and terrarium. Most run their course, and often times it is cool watching things change.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

ya I re did the whole thing and do get fungus here and there but this time it isn't taking over. I use tropical soil now and a cheaper frog moss with a green dye in it. It's not as natural as the other frog moss but at least it doesn't dry up like the other stuff and to add a more natural feel I just put real plants in their. Thank you for all your help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzen View Post
The type of wood does make a difference. If I recall, ghost wood always grows fungus. Do you know what type it is?

I have learned to make peace with most of the things that grow in my vivarium and terrarium. Most run their course, and often times it is cool watching things change.
thats wrong. ghost wood does not always fungus. mine did not. actually ghost wood is very mold-resistant and is not as prone to rot in moist environments as some other woods (manzanita dw is better, though, but doesnt look as good).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode