Brackish Paludrium questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brackish Paludrium questions

I am building a brackish paludrium for my sons red claw crabs. Right now they are in a smaller paludrium but its not big enough for them to really move around.

I have a few questions though, i dont want this to fail like my last big project (the dirted disaster of 2015).

What would you suggest as far as substrate? They are burrowers and what ive read said sandy mud is home for them but i dont know if thats possible?

Plants? I love my plants, i know of the javas, and the salinity of these guys is only going to reach 1.005 so is there anything else other than java fern and java moss that would work? I knoe mangroves but these are climbers and i feel like mangroves would grow too much.

They would need some sort of a slope, would it be better to slope the substrate or have a ramp? During the last disaster gas pockets were a serious issue, so im a bit wary of going through that event again.

Sorry for all the questions, id prefer to do this right the first time than screw it up royally THEN ask for help lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi there.
I'm keeping a couple of brackish paludariums and have been struggling with plants as well. The easiest plants to use to my experience are Vallisnerias, both spiralis and giantea have adapted very easily to salinities in between 1.003 and 1.006.
On the emersed areas Samolus valerandi grows nicely.
Mangroves would be great in your setup, they grow very slowly so it's easy to groom them to your liking...

There's some brackish plant chat in my thread about my mudskipper paludarium at https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...aludarium.html

A lot of people are using muddy substrate with skippers, I'd suppose the same would work for red claws. I use a mixture of sand and peat for small crabs. But only on places it doesn't get totally soaked/flown away with water.

That being said, I'd go for a shelving option with naturalistic ramps like wood or stones instead of sloping.

Good luck!

"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Earth. I think we can make a buck on it so let's destroy it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode