55g deciduous mini biome - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55g deciduous mini biome

Okay I've finally gotten enough courage to finally post this. This is experitmental and has been up for about 5 months. Most of the fauna is locally collected, making this a deciduous forest themed terrarium. I do not have any fauna at the moment, Im still debating on what to add to match the tanks theme. I really would like to replace the background to something less distracting, maybe a custom made background perhaps. I have had various spring related mushrooms pop up such as Sarcoscypha austriaca, I have a few different mushrooms ive collected that wont make it but they look good nontheless, such as Ganoderma applanatum and Piptoporus betulinus.

for flora I have several types of mosses some of which are pretty neat looking. everything seems to be doing pretty good so far with no visible losses. I mist with a hand mister 2x daily at morning and evening to replicate dew. I am new to terrarium keeping but know my way around reef and planted tanks pretty decently so this will be stretching my green thumb I guess.

If anyone has some fauna to recommend i would be very grateful =)

as always, comments and criticisms are welcomed.

here's the pics =)

This will hopefully be an ongoing thread and Ill try to post pictures of its progression =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Wow!!! This is awesome!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:30 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Do you mean that you used local flora?
Chances are that moss will need a cooler "dormant period" later, but it all looks good right now. Be careful about bugs and other pests that might have been in the plants when you collected them.
It looks cool, though

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
For backgrounds try something that I found to be easy and inexpensive. Check out my Terrarium Build here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...terrarium.html

Focus on the background and keep in mind it can be done in any natural color you want and it is all completelt inert.

Best wishes,

Wes

I quit!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah Im aware of the dormancy and this tank will be shelved with a dormant period outside =) Thanks for all the great comments! I really appreciate it! Im still open to some fauna suggestions and they dont have to be seasonal either I have another tank setup for any fauna that wont winter the tank over.

I was thinking of an eco-terra or black pond filter mesh for the background, or a more complex polyethylene foam build.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chek View Post
I was thinking of an eco-terra or black pond filter mesh for the background, or a more complex polyethylene foam build.
The background on my 125 gallon terrarium took 4-1/2 hours with inbedded pigment and expanding foam. But it was easy. There are links within my thread to others' whom have done before myself.

I quit!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are those shrooms you're growing in there?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I am kind of leaning towards a foam build background. i have extensively read on the dendroboard forums many of the processes that people use for the backgrounds there. Im just a little overwhelmed to take on a project like that. Ive been getting resources at a slow rate for it
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Wow that's amazing. I agree that it will need a cold winter for most of that stuff to make it long-term.

I really like how you got those fungi to fruit in there. If you could include a decent volume of wood collected from the woods you might expect to see more of that.

I don't know much about herps, but it seems you should be able to find some good choices among native species of salamanders and lizards, if you can collect them legally in your area.

You could also consider beetles. I can imagine a few different beetles that are pretty big and showy and might do alright and live for a time.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the pic are way cool ... makes me think I on a nature walk or something. Really cool.

I quit!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
Are those shrooms you're growing in there?

There are shrooms that ive collected such as the large one on the right and a few of the polypores were collected but one in particular is the red cup (Sarcoscypha austriaca) that has actually grown from nothing in the tank. I collected all of these samples during the winter and its actually been pretty awesome to see everything awakening =)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I am kind of leaning towards a foam build background. i have extensively read on the dendroboard forums many of the processes that people use for the backgrounds there. Im just a little overwhelmed to take on a project like that. Ive been getting resources at a slow rate for it
I think that's where I got the first link and it went from there. Depending on the pigments you are looking for there are really only three or four priamary ingredients one of which is a two part expanding foam.
really cheap. The link for the resource is in my thread .. very reliable resource. I list all of the material required for the build in detail in my thread.

I quit!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Wow that's amazing. I agree that it will need a cold winter for most of that stuff to make it long-term.

I really like how you got those fungi to fruit in there. If you could include a decent volume of wood collected from the woods you might expect to see more of that.

I don't know much about herps, but it seems you should be able to find some good choices among native species of salamanders and lizards, if you can collect them legally in your area.

You could also consider beetles. I can imagine a few different beetles that are pretty big and showy and might do alright and live for a time.
Thank you for your comments! I think that its been a pretty awesome fact that the mushrooms have flowered in there =) there are a few smaller specimin of jelly shrooms and whatnot that have also grown up but too small to take pictures of atm.

I have never heard of keeping beetles before, that sounds pretty neat actually haha.

I have a green anole tank in another tank so im not too interested in keeping them again.

Another thing that I can consider is keeping red spotted eft newts possibly?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespastor View Post
I think that's where I got the first link and it went from there. Depending on the pigments you are looking for there are really only three or four priamary ingredients one of which is a two part expanding foam.
really cheap. The link for the resource is in my thread .. very reliable resource. I list all of the material required for the build in detail in my thread.

Yeah ill have a good look at your thread, it seems pretty nice. I was also thinking on going with a grout-based application and air gun on pvc with expanding foam around the shaped pvc frame. I was thinking something like this:

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah ill have a good look at your thread, it seems pretty nice. I was also thinking on going with a grout-based application and air gun on pvc with expanding foam around the shaped pvc frame. I was thinking something like this:
(deleted pix for space)

Yep that could be done with the system I used but would need a little more work and certainly different pigments.

I quit!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode