Jerry's Cactus and Succulent Collection - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Jerry's Cactus and Succulent Collection

I'll start this thread to put up some photo's of the cactus and succulents I have. I have not counted how many I have but I really like small freely flowering types like Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, Notocactus, Parodia, Gymnocalycium, and some Mammillaria. I also like the really small and very slow growing Mexican types like Pelecyphora, Turbinocactus, and Aztekium. I have some Brazilian warm grass land types: Uebelmannia, Discocactus. Argentinian mountainous type: Frailea. This last one I am trying to simulate a biotope pot. I am looking for a spikemoss in the genus Selaginella. I would really like to get the species most found in Argentina, but it is rare plant.

Frailea castanea biotope in the making. I crushed some sandstone to make the potting mix as I wanted the reddish/purple color of the mountainous soil. I use Coir in the mix too. These plants live in the protection of rocks and grasses and have fairly even moisture year round, but in highly drained acid soil. A few of these plants got scarred by a mouse or chipmunk eating them. But that is ok because goats are a real threat to them in their native habitat. These plants will grow back if the underground tap root is not destroyed and form multiple heads. I have seedlings all over this pot now and they are really crowding one another. Just like habitat photo's I've seen.:

Here's a Frailea castanea seedling two weeks old taken Sept 8, 2009. The scale divisions are 1/32". I fertilize with water acidified with Nitric acid to pH 5.0 containing 1.14 gm KH2PO4 per US gallon for the first 6 months, then I up the concentration of KH2PO4 to 3.785 gm per US gallon till they get to 1/2" diameter. I use Potassium Bicarbonate to adjust the pH up if I overshoot the Nitric acid.

Here are the Pelecyphora aselliformis I bought last fall the evening I received them. I had to take a record photo of them before potting. They are 12 years old here.

Here are overview shots of plants that I keep in the cold greenhouse taken April 2, 2010:

These are warm winter plants that don't want temperatures below 50F during the winter and don't want to fully dry out. I still don't have all of these plants home from work yet. The really tender ones are still there. The tall spiny plant leaning over on its side is a Notocactus submammulosus I started from seed around 1987 or so. It is just now getting an offshoot and may branch for me. The bottom is really corky. The mother plant was in a 10 inch pot and just barely fit in a 5 gallon joint compound bucket to carry it. That plant was beautiful and had about 7 branches.

More warm winter plants:

Turbinocarpus pseudopectinatus taken April 2, 2010:

Here it is last year with the flowers open:

Here's a Uebelmannia pectinifera flowering last year. I have not grown these plants well and they are scarred by sunburn. I bought a new one last spring at the Connecticut Cactus show. I am trying to coddle this one and keep it sunburn free.

I have more photo's, but I will have to get them up some other time.

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:

Last edited by jerrytheplater; 04-03-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Cool collection! May I ask, what is that plant on the fourth photo on the top left? It's so vibrant!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
Cool collection! May I ask, what is that plant on the fourth photo on the top left? It's so vibrant!
That is an Echinopsis. I have no idea if it is a hybrid or not. It was given to me about 20 years ago. It blooms at night with a white flower which is very fragrant. Each bloom only lasts one day. Mine are about 12" tall when they bloom. It has so many pups on it that it hasn't bloomed in quite a while. The original head is the largest one and it has gotten pushed horizontally by all the pups.

I have a friend that is a perfumer. He makes/designs fragrances. I told him about this plant and how much I loved the scent of the flower. He asked to borrow the plant when it was going to bloom so he could analyze the chemicals produced by the flower. Some technician had to work all night taking air samples and running them through a gas chromatograph so they could observe the changes over time. I thought that was pretty neat.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just made a video today of a lot of my garden. I split it up into topics and here is the cactus/succulent video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOI-xLshb8o

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another video, this time of my dish garden of Winter Hardy Cactus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSBsmOPhXSM

Here is another one of me soaking Coir discs to make cactus potting soil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXSAxWqZOxU

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
whats with the conglomeration in this pic? lol

is that ok for the cacti? id think their spines would pierce each other.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Marko

I keep them in the box so I can move them around easily. I transport the ones that need winter warmth to work, and the cold ones to my friends greenhouse. I also leave them in there during the summer so I can get them out of the rain if needed.

One of these days I'll make something more permanent for keeping them at home. I had some of my plants eaten by deer the other day, so I really do need to do this project.

You are right though, the one cactus is shading some of the others.

I took a video last night of the flowers on my plants but the battery ran out during it and it got lost. Its raining now so I can't retake it. I need to get a new memory card for my sons camera as the one we have stopped working. Its from an old Olympus Camedia C-3020.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Good looking stuff Jerry. I like the Turbinocarpus flowers you got last year

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
actually i was reffering to the multicolored orb in the back left. thats not all 1 cactus is it?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Marko

The plant you are referring to is one plant with many pups. It is an Echinopsis sp. The pups that are yellowish may have become detached from the parent and their roots have not made it into the pot. They are most likely dieing.

The original head is the horizontal one on the right with the grayish band halfway down the head. I really should transplant this plant into a larger pot. I think this plant was given to me in the late 1980's as a single head.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Planted Member

Nice collection, you've got a table full in the video. My favorites were always the living stones - so neat looking with very pretty flowers. I used to work in a greenhouse at school and we had an echinopsis sp like that too. The flowers smelled so good and I was always sad to see them withered the next day. I found it funny that they were furry too.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Since my camera is broken, I need to take videos of my plants Well I had a bloom last night on my Discocactus hybrid cacti. I also posted up a video of some of my Echinocereus blooming from earlier in the month.

Discocactus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmKYXklWl00

Echinocereus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41YXYwNGgk

Enjoy.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Great looking collection, Jerry! I didn't realize this thread existed until you posted it on Eden Mardel's thread.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode