Newb interested in paludariums! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newb interested in paludariums!

I've been lurking in these boards for a couple months now, and I like what I see. The people here seem friendly and offer plenty of helpful suggestions.

Anyway, I'm VERY interested in starting a paludarium. I'm in the planning stages right now. But I have a good idea of what I want to do. I plan on building, yes building, my tank from cell cast acrylic (expensive, I know, but worth it I believe). Dimensions will be 48"x24"x24", with a usable area of 48"x24"x18". The spare 6" in the back will conceal drainage (I'll be using a sump for filtration, dosing, and heating), and a water column to feed a waterfall. The column will be supplied by a pump and will fill and overflow rather than spurt out a tube. The land and water will be divided by acrylic as I've seen in a couple posts on here, most notably TimsViv here; https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...o-journal.html.

Lighting is still the biggest issue, but I think I'm going to go with a 48" PC with a varied combination of (up to) 4 K factors. I plan on using a prefabbed setup that includes LED moon lighting controlled by an Aquacontroller Jr. that turn lights on/off according to sunrise/sunset. It even controls the amount and time of moonlight according to moonrise/moonset and it's phases. That whole getup will cost just over $200 and will be the 2nd most costly part of the build after the acrylic.

For emersed plants I want to use mostly mosses and grasses and maybe a couple carolina fanworts. I was thinking a red mangrove as well, but the research I've done says they do much better in a brackish environment, so maybe not. I'm not interested in keeping it region specific, and prefer not to use leafy plants. If anyone has some wonderful suggestions, I'm all ears!

As I said, it's still in the planning stages, but as I begin, I plan on keeping a photo-journal of the the entire project...

20g fish tank (1x swordtail, 1x redtail shark, 1x rainbow shark, 1x pleco)

14g fish tank (2x 9x 14x fancy guppies, 1x pleco)

Last edited by AFPara; 03-26-2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Cuz I left something oiut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, so in shopping around for cell cast acrylic, I've found out that it's QUITE expensive. Are there any DIYers that make their own acrylic tanks? If so, where do you get your materials? Would greatly appreciate any info on good suppliers...

Last edited by AFPara; 06-19-2010 at 12:18 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Has anyone ever built their own tank? Does anyone even care? Or is it just "another newbie" no one wants to talk to?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sounds like a really nice idea. Sometimes we're a bit slow to respond, but usually someone chimes in.

Welcome to the forum btw..

I've built quite a few tanks myself. Not all of them for holding water, but I owned my own reptile/arachnid business for years and I have built a whole lot of different cages and tanks.

I unfortunately can't give a good supplier for the acrylic since I was able to buy mine through my employer at a discount.. plus I didn't have to pay shipping for 4' x 8' sheets which can be really expensive if you have to pay freight.

It's really easy to work with acrylic though. I would tape my tank together so it was square and use the acrylic cement in the seams and it welded together.

Oh, and for nice polished looking edges, grab a propane torch and lightly run it over the edge and you'll have A+ looking edges. Only!! flame polish exposed edges, not edges that are meant to be welded.

Keep us posted with pics as the construction gets going. Everyone here seems to enjoy watching a project progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply Lycosa, I was beginning to worry that unless one was an established member here, you were standing on the outside looking in. Unfortunately, that doesn't help newbies feel welcome.

Anyway, I found a dealer that I can purchase cell cast in the lengths I'm looking for (read: no cutting acrylic). So pretty much, once I have the material, I can start fabricating. The only drawback right now, is the $350 extra to purchase. Once that's done and set up, I'll be looking for help on substrate and plants as this is my first ever planted tank...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I have a paludarium that you might like to see. Check my signature.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Chrisinator, your 10g link is a YAHOO 404 link...MIA. The 38g looks good though. What I'm planning is a 90g with about 12g water.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That 10g is pretty nice. Hopefully, when mine's up and running and established, it'll be something I can be proud of too

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Algae Grower

Have your started your project yet? I have a 30G paludarium that has ~ 7Gs of water. It's kinda half torn up right now, tho'. I'm wanting to add a waterfall. And pretty much re-do it. Wish I'd thought about acrylic sectioning... I just have gravel.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to J.farrand
Those pics you mentioned were amazing!!! I see why you want one. I loved the planted tank below as a filter and how organized and plumbed everything was below. I want to be there. Goodluck with your project!! Not sarcasm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode