Tentative Paludarium/Vivarium Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Tentative Paludarium/Vivarium Journal

Hey all, this is my first time venturing into the land of half-full aquariums! It's mostly a bunch of brainstorming, so don't expect photos right away.

What I want: I'd love to use my new mosses to create a lush submerged 'pond' with a small trickle over rocks (assuming a canister filter would be good, or a modified HOB). The land portion will be terrestrial moss and some nice emersed crypts. I also want some twisted pieces of wood sort of hovering over the pond with moss growing on them.

Materials: I think I'm going to use my last empty 10 on this, or I could get a 20 long. I'm really fond of 20 longs because of their dimensions. I'd probably use one of my spare filters, too. To make the pond/riverbanks I could build it up with mesh and make a hole in it to form a cavernous space under the land area for a nocturnal fish (viewable from the back? Hmmm.).

Part of me wants to, instead, do a shoreline tank with fiddler crabs and a small current creating natural 'waves'..but that'll stay in my head for a while.

I'm not sure if I'll make the water section big enough for fish, but with all that moss..I'd love a little creature that could lounge around on it and also swim in the water. This will be my LAST tank for a while, unless I rework the existing ones.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After doing a bit of research, I want to stock it with either marbled salamanders or Northern Red salamanders.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Sound like a cool plan. Myself, I never did anything with with sally's so I wouldn't know what they would need for thier habitat but the general Idea sounds cool.

Water features eat up a lot of tank real estate so you might want to consider that 20L.

Sounds like you have MTS as well. I feel for ya.

What ever you deside I am sure it will be best for you.

Best wishes,

Wes

I quit!

Last edited by wespastor; 03-25-2010 at 07:24 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Why thank you! And yes, I'm afraid this MTS of mine is incurable. I even have two stainless steel fish/snake tank racks in my laundry room!?

I'm off to the store with my list of everything for the paludarium; new tank, peat, clay balls, a small filter..oh no!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode