5.5 Low budget paludarium picture heavy 56k warning! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5 Low budget paludarium picture heavy 56k warning!

Long-time lurker, first time poster. This is one of my several tanks. This one consistently requires the least maintenance and looks half decent; and I spent probably under $20 on it. Bare in mind I started this out pretty sloppy with little intention to spend much time or effort into it. Turned out to become one of my favorite tanks!
First acquired a firebelly toad from my oldest brother whose wife is a school teacher. One of her kids gave her this toad as a gift in a tiny little critter keeper with some neon colored gravel and a plastic plant. My brother would feed it bugs or crickets every now and then, but mostly the poor little guy was neglected with little water and food. My brother offered him to me one day, naturally I took the opportunity to make use of the spare 5.5 I had in my closet.
The filter is just an old top-fin 10 gallon power filter I had lying around. Just attached a tube from the bottom of the intake to the intake filter, so as to just extend the length of the intake tube. Makes a nice little water fall onto some cheap lava rock I bought a while back for some epiphyte testing. Siliconed a small piece of glass to hold some earth into place, the rest is held by and old piece of driftwood, another thing I'd had lying around for about 4 years. Made a screen cover out of old window screen and the old rim from yet ANOTHER old lying around broken 5.5. Just used left over organic soil from certain "house plant" endeavors of past. It's called Black Gold, its coco based. Flourite base underneath for the earth part with some larger gravel pieces mixed further below as well. Simply use a cheap CFL, I think 18 or 23 watts... maybe 32.. and a cheap $6 clamp light fixture I got a Lowe's a couple years ago.
Point I'm gettin' at is that I put basically no money into this project and it's come out pleasantly well. Nothing spectacular. These first photographs are from October '09 when I first set it up, November '09, and December '09. I've got plenty more from between then and now, but I'm just too tired right now to go through all the pictures I've not sorted through yet. I'll get there and upload more. It's really grown in a great bit since these. I've added more plants as time went and am still working on it.
Terrestrial plants are Helxine and Moss in these photos. Other plants are just some different kinds of mosses, anubias, java fern, bacopa sp., duckweed, some fern that hitch-hiked a while back, e. tennelus(?) and some baby tears. I also bought the toad a little toad buddy... who later escaped. Also some Cherry shrimp, a pair of guppies, and nerite snails.

Anyways, cheers for reading. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	19225  

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	19227  

Name:	IMG_1983.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	19228  

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	19229  

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	19230  

Last edited by CannaBrain; 05-11-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added more photos / realized this is more paludarium than vivarium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That is really nice! Especialy for $20! Good Job!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's pretty cool. The condensation in the aquarium is just ruining the view =(
Do the rcs ever accidentally go on land sometimes?

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:40 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
what kinda moss is that with the frog?! its awesome...
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

@pinoyboy, i found my cherry shrimp walking around the land area in my tank the other day, I think its pretty common...
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments! @Pinoy, I've never seen my RCS on the land, but when I had Amanos, those guys would hop tank like nobody's business. Sorry for the condensation, that was the first night the tank was running. These pictures here are from later in December 09 and there's a few with better views. You can see I added more moss on the land that hadn't yet acclimated to it's new environment. Again, low budget, extremely low maintenance. @F22, I'm not sure what kind of moss that it is on the land. I collected it from beneath a tree in the parking lot of an auto shop near my house. I'll have some more photos as I go through the folders. Cheers! Also if anyone has any idea what the fern floating on the left side of the tank is, any ID would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2068.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	19241  

Name:	IMG_2075.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	19242  

Name:	IMG_2083.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	19243  

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	19244  

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	19245  

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I think that the fern is a java fern.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Looks really cool. I like it.

Best Wishes

Wes

I quit!
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

thats def java fern... i dunno if you know this or not, but those fire belly toads are mad toxic, so make sure you keep up with water changes...
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I'm familiar with the Jave fern in the back there, but I'm not sure of the other one more towards the wood in the front. And yes, I know they're toxic and I do at least weekly changes. Wish I could say the same for my larger tanks!
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A few from Feb. and early March! Cute toad! Helxine really took off. You can also see some baby tears starting to grow in. I finally gave her a good clean the other day, trimmed back helxine a good bit, but no photos yet. Cherries popped out babies pretty quick after puttin' em in there, and they're also finally starting to get big and colorful!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2302.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	19417  

Name:	IMG_2312.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	19418  

Name:	IMG_2468.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	19419  

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I want more photos!
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Algae Grower

doesnt the frog jump out of the tank?

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha, no he doesn't jump out. I have a crummy, but effective diy screen cover. had to make sure there was room for the filter. I'll post some new pictures real soon.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lots of pictures

Alright, it's been a little bit. I take so many pictures, and rarely get onto the computer. Less often do I upload and resize them. Anyways, pictures from April through beginning of June. Lots of new growth, added some new plants, new toad. I call it Gold Frog. I know its a toad.

Added a little cryptanthus. So far, so good. New growth!

Rotala finally poppin up from behind the moss mound

Moss grown up from the water, there's some pelia in there somewhere too.

Gold Frog just hangin out.

Little buddies. Anyways, more as it comes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode