So you bleach all wood that you add to your tank?
Help me understand the part "It does react easily with most anything organic so we can be sure that it can't stay in the wood. That would be like storing fire in a cardboard box!"
Yes, I've been bleaching wood for so many years it doesn't even count. Reading about chlorine should relieve most worries about it soaking into wood.
Most of us know chlorine bleach will eat your clothing as the cloth is an organic in many cases. The chlorine reacts with organics and changes them. I don't know what comes out from cloth but something easier to follow is steel or iron. When any metal tool is left around chlorine like in the same shed, the tool rusts. The iron becomes iron oxide and is no longer much good.
The simple part is that if we believe chlorine reacts with cloth and iron which are organics we can assume it will also react with wood as it is also an organic. So when we put chlorine and wood together they will react until one or the other is used up.
We assume we will not use so much that the wood is turned to pulp but the chlorine is all used?
So when we use a bleach soak we have two things working for us that help to make it safe. One is that it is hard to keep chlorine in a liquid or solid form as it's normal state is a gas. That gas will blow away as soon as it can. We often smell it blowing around at pools or spas or when we get a drink. In a pool, you have to keep adding chlorine as it will blow away. We want it to react with the germs it kills.
Second is that it can't stay in the wood as chlorine.
What may confuse some people is that there is a tiny amount of a form of salt in bleach. Sodium hypochlorite is the official name on a jug of bleach. It is there to help keep the chlorine stable. That salt might wind up in the wood.
But of the three parts that we have in the jug, water 94%, chlorine 6% and a tiny amount of salt, what part do we worry about?
Soak the wood, let the wood dry and use the wood, works for me.