Not sure what this qualifies as, terrarium, vivarium, riparium, etc. Feedback please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Not sure what this qualifies as, terrarium, vivarium, riparium, etc. Feedback please

Hello. I was fishing the other day and came across some beautiful moss in the woods and I decided to put my empty 5g to use. I collected a few moss species I came across, and ended up with a few hitchhikers also. I only set this up yesterday, so the jury is still out on whether anything will live or not.

I was hoping for some pointers on making things work. I've used soil from the area where I collected the mosses, with maybe .5" of gravel at the bottom of the tank for drainage.

If anyone can ID anything in the tank, I would appreciate it, especially the feathery stuff on the left side. Any tips on getting them to flourish, or experiences would also be great.

I weather stripped the top of the tank and covered it with a panel of glass, cut to fit. I misted with a little bit of tank water, but I understand that overwatering is usually the killer of setups like this. I'm using a 27w desk lamp to light it, not sure if that would be too much for the mosses so I raised it up ~8" from the top of the tank.

It was kind of a quick decision to start, kind of "Hey, wonder if I can get that to grow?" but now I'm looking at other plants and little critters to keep in there. Just what I need, another addictive plant hobby

Thanks for looking, I would really appreciate feedback and helpful tips.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's a pretty sweet little thing you got going on there! I'd say it's more like a vivarium, though I could very well be wrong, ha!

I was going to ask for a plant list, but then read you don't know either. If anyone knows, chip in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is actually a pretty neat variety of mosses you have. ID is tough.
A lot of native non-tropical mosses do poorly over time in a terrarium. Misting is a good way to go, once a day or so. Some do better with a little ventilation, and 70% humidity is ideal. The 27w should be a good choice.

As for nomenclature:
A vivarium is any enclosure that has living things in it. An aquarium is a vivarium. It is the most inclusive term.
A terrarium is a vivarium that is mainly terrestrial. You have made a terrarium.
A paludarium is a viv that has both a significant land and water portion. If you look at this forum, or Dendroboard, or Vivarium Forums, this usually means that the water portion is big enough to support healthy fish, and land plants are planted on the land. If there is just a small pool of water, it is a terrarium with a water feature.
A riparium is an aquarium that is only partially filled with water, but uses plants that grow out of the water... um... it uses "emergent aquatic plants." There is generally no land.

If you want more help with ID, try asking at one of the sites above.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That looks like a terrarium to me. It has a grown-in look and doesn't at all look like you just planted.

I get the impression that part of the trouble with keeping those temperate mosses is that they require a winter dormancy. Perhaps you could keep them going longe rif you could find a way to chill the whole thing during the winter. Nice clean water and good air ventilation, but humid air, would probably do them well too.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Unless u have some sort of amernal in thar it's a terrarium. To be sure keep the humidity High the tempurature moderate to low but not cold. and use a softer water for watering leaning toward distilled. Try not to saturate the soil.

Very cool tank.

Best wishes

Wes

I quit!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
looks like you need a frog buddy...

lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yeah agreed. My only worry was that the tank is too small. I'd love to get a little toad though. I had them as a kid and they were great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
looks like you need a frog buddy...

lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
bumble bee toads are becoming available again and they will be fine in nearly any size enclousure...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode