This is my first semi aquatic terrium is it ok for my newts and tree frogs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation This is my first semi aquatic terrium is it ok for my newts and tree frogs?

ANY Suggestions? Um how can I keep my tree Frog warm without warming the water for the Newts. I like their Water to be 70F at the most.

In case you can see I have a screen top, a filter, and a bubblier filter as well. Also all natural frog moss.

Question 1: Will a Humidifier at the top keep my frog comfortable yet not warm my water too much for the newts.

Question 2: Will a Hot Damp Hand Towel Over the Area My Frog Rest Work for Humidity? I do use a spray bottle with decolonise water and before I spray him I let it run under warm water.

Also I tried a heat lamb but the bulb popped, then when getting another one the breaker went out so the way our 1bed room appnt is wired I can use a heat lamp.

QUESTION 3: If I add More Plants will that Keep It more Humid? I was thinking of adding tons of Bamboo.

Last edited by Taryn Nation; 06-10-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
For your frog you need a real land area where it can burrow, not just parts above water. You need to find a way for a heat lamp too. They need the warmth.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
keep a small heater in the water and a glass top covering most of the top with the screen over it.. This will keep the humidity up and reduce the need for constant misting...

what kinda tree frog we talking about here?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
nice tank
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok I can do the burrow thing. What dose it need sand or gravel or rocks? How wide should is area be?

I still have the Heat Lamp but not sure what to do. Was going to Return it.

I have ground that it plug into but the wiring here is cheap. The same wall my 20long and the 20H reptile tank is connected to is the wall in our living room which has a Playstation 3, 47inch flat screen hd tv, and small computer sound system.

All have grounds but it blew a fuse last night when I had the Heat lamp in, my humidifier for the room on, both tank lights, my 20Long heater, my bubble filter, my filter for the 20Long and my filter for the 20H.

Do I need a more expensive ground? The one thats being use is a cheaper one and I think it has a low voltage so I can try switching it with my bfs ground since his tank is in the kitchen and he has only three things plug into it.

Is a 50 watt night Heat Lamp warm enough?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

To F22

Its a regular green tree frog. the Cheaper kind. Ok so I can do the Part Glass Covering but where can I get the Glass?

Also would Plexiglass from a Picture Frame Work?

Also I cant do a Heater in the water due to my Newts but I'm very Cleaver and can rig a bowl some where to put warm water in it. I also have a 1 Gallon acrylic tank I don't use that I could set in the back right corner and fill it up with warmer water and even put a small Flatt heater in there but would this cause another fuse to blow with the heat lamp that I might not return today?

The ground I was using was not a regular ground but one that plugs in both outlet's and acts more as a multi outlet so I can switch the ground with my bfs and see how that goes.

Glass Cat: Thanks I worked hard on it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

you can use plexi on top, all it is there for is to keep the humidity up...
put a heater in the water and set it to 74, the newts will be fine. don't make more work for yourself by putting in bowls and everything else..

return the heat light, tree frogs wont need it... keep the water a little warm and keep the humidity up... the frog will do well...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

to f22

Sorry I didn't think you were going to get back to me on this thread so I posted the same question on your profile.

Anyways that's good news for the heat lamp really could use that 40 bucks back.

What about my newts, will the humidity raise their water temp and can they survive in a temp of 74 and still thrive and live out their whole life's. I have fire belly's and eastern newts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

you know about firebelly newt toxicity right?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

part 2:

newts are fine at 74
humidity will not affect the newts and will keep the frogs happy and warm enough...
don't go building things and hangning them in the tank, it looks tacky...
you can build a land area with a a clear shallow plastic tubberware container filled with eco earth (a coconut fiber bedding)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Kind of

I don't know much about the toxicity will it affect the frog and should I just move them?

Ok So I have other questions an whatever your suggestion I will apply to today!

SO in the pic you see the tank is like 15%-25% water. Is that just too little for these newts? I only have two firebellys was planing on getting a eastern.

If The are Much Happier with more water then I will Probably give them away or put them in my empty 5 Gallon.

What do you suggest?

Also At the store they has a Tiger Salamander and a African Spotted Newt that are big would one of these do better in the 20H with the tree frog?

The Tiger Salamander tank wasn't very aquatic so dose this mean they are more land newts and could he live in the same conditions as the tree frog?

If not what else can I mix with my tree frog if I take the Newts out?

Just let me know what would be the best for my pets and I will do as you say today!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

please read this before buying anything,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Fire_Belly_Newt
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

fire belly newts really aren't great tankmates for other amphibious species... The toxin released isn't too bad on the human end of things, but as far as other animals in the enclosure you may have an issue... I would run alot of carbon in the filter all the time, and replace it every 2 weeks...

I would say to get the spotted, lose the firebelly and stay away from that tiger...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

ok I read it and looks like I should just put the fire bellys in the 5 gallon. Um please don't judge me for my ignorance but is 3/4 less that a 1/2. So the 5 gallon should be filled 3/4 and would they be ok in the 5 gallon?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

3/4 is more than half

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode