• 2 Post By thedudeabides
  • 2 Post By Brian Bloomfield
  • 2 Post By Brian Bloomfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tiger Salamander Iwagumi

I've decided to explore new waters..or rather, lands.

My latest venture has led me to my childhood roots of my deep love of reptiles and amphibians. You see, I always kept many reptiles and amphibians growing up however as an adult I have only kept fish. For some reason I have been a bit ashamed of my love of herps as if they are childish and not as high brow as a group of schooling tetras.

Then one day at Aquatic Critter in Nashville I saw a brilliantly colored Tiger salamander lunge at a cricket. It was true love. I purchased the salamander immediately and dove back into my childhood passion.

At the same time I've been wanting to do an iwagumi style tank for a while now. I thought it might be interesting to apply the aquascaping techniques I've been inspired by to the vivarium setting. After some research I decided I could still make a land based iwagumi set up with my salamander provided I create plenty of retreats for her and the temperature remains cool (<75 degrees).

I should also add, that I love low maintenance. This way I can spend more time enjoying my tank. I also love the look of glossostigma elatinoides but I do not love my memories of trimming it! Every week I would have to trim it down to prevent my plush carpet from smothering itself. This is one thing I love about terrestrial moss. It stays bright green and doesn't require trimming. And of course it isn't fussy about c02 injection because it is already provided naturally in the air.

With this "low maintenance attitude" I wanted my vivarium to care for itself or at least minimize my efforts. Through a friend, I discovered collembola which is sort of the otocinclus of the vivarium. Collembola is a great little hexapod that devours mold and helps break down vivarium waste. Perfect when you're creating a living landscape.

Keeping with the low maintenance style, the moss seems happy under a 7 hour photoperiod. And believe it or not, I'm not having any algae problems! ; )

One of my utmost concerns was the safety of my salamander. My salamander always came first when designing the tank. Likewise, iwagumi setups often utilize large rocks which can be dangerous in the event of a collapse. All rocks in my tank are completely stable.

The fukuishi stone on the far left sits on the base of the tank. The mid most prominent stone, the oyaishi, sits on top of a large plastic tupperware container hidden beneath the rocks, soil, and moss. The far right smaller soeshi stone also sits atop the tupperware.

Using tupperware was great because it allowed my stones to appear larger by raising them up. In addition, the placement of the oyaishi and soeshi formed a cave which my salamander loves. But she really loves the hole I drilled into the tupperware which provides a larger, deeper, and darker cave for her to take refuge in.

Recently I have put together a video of my iwagumi tank. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't having a blast shooting the footage. It was fascinating watching her distinct behaviors and seeing her hunt across the iwagumi landscape.

Also, I've been just calling this set up "Dragon Iwagumi" but my friend calls it "The Dragon King" because it reminds her of Pride Rock from the famous disney film.

Anyway see her explore, hunt, and conquer.
-- and watch out for the battle scene!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	628641  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6836.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	628649  

Last edited by Brian Bloomfield; 05-06-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typos and clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
Even coming from a guy who does not like amphibians or reptiles, this is pretty bad-ass.

Good job on layout, flora, and even the cool looking salamander!

-Mikey G
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is really cool

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks pretty nice, can she get into the rock work to hide?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome setup! Awesome video!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
LOL! I thoroughly enjoyed that video! That moss looks pretty awesome. Not sure if I would call that a "battle scene". hahah Those things had no chance!

You should look into some slow motion video capture. It would be pretty sick to see that capture happen in extreme slow mo. Great job on the panning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
That is way cool! It is surprising that design principles for aquariums aren't used for terrariums and vice versa more often.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Mikeygmzmg: I take "badass" as an awesome compliment! Thank-you!
@Willcooper: Thank-you : )
@Wy Renegade: Yes, there is a superficial cave directly beneath the rock work. There is also a deeper larger cave in a plastic tupperware box hidden beneath the rocks and moss.
@NotCousteau: I had a blast making the video and the tank! Glad you enjoyed it; thank-you!
@thedudeabides: I totally agree. Iwagumi set ups are much easier with terrestrial moss, just spray! No trimming. No c02. . And it would be interesting to see some more aquascape "principles" used in vivariums. I'm actually working on another "aquascape styled terrarium" now.
@bereninga: Thank-you so much! And I just made a new "feeding video" and included a slo-mo scene thanks to your suggestion. : )

Feeding video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3QboNQTZQ
mrfiock and mrfiock like this.

Last edited by Brian Bloomfield; 05-25-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Needed to respond to more people
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
@ 2:13 Juicy! I think I threw up a little. Ugh, right before lunch too. lol

||
||
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
@ 2:13 Juicy! I think I threw up a little. Ugh, right before lunch too. lol
Haha! Yeah I wouldn't recommend watching it before/during lunch. I actually almost included a disclaimer because of that one scene.

Last edited by Brian Bloomfield; 05-26-2016 at 03:42 AM. Reason: clarification
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:07 AM
Algae Grower

Two thumbs up. You really take care of your salamander.

Please keep hands off glass.

Tags
iwagumi, moss, terrascape, tiger salamander, vivarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode