Cat Eating my Riparium plants - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cat Eating my Riparium plants

Hello so i have a situation my Cat is eating my aluminium plants that im growing on a frag shelf holding their stems in the water and their leaves out of the water

Before you ask no it is not a catfish but an actual 4 legged, 1 tail lots of fur cat and the little pr ick is eating all the leaves lol

i want to know if i make a 1 part vinegar 3 part water spray and spray the leaves that will stop the cat but would it affect the tank if any of the spray landed on the water ect....

i have shrimp, crabs, corys, snails, algae eaters and fighters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 AM
Planted Member

Go and pick some of the long bladed grass outside and place it by thier food. You can also take bird seed, the finer seeds and plant it in a shallow dish. They sprout it a few days, leave by a window for your cat to eat. Cats go for grass when thier stomach is upset, to clear parasites or if they are constipated.

Learning what I can..
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Your crayfish will most likely kill your shrimp and fish as soon as they get the chance.
What type of crabs? Most species sold as freshwater aren't really aquatic freshwater animals and will most likely attack fish and shrimp.
What kind of algae eater? Most grow large and get aggressive or just grow massive.
"Fighters"? As in bettas, plural? Are they all in the same tank?
Your shrimp are under threat from everything listed above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The crabs are spider crabs 2.5 cm across fully grown, found in a colony on the fresh water side of a esturary, bred through several generations to now thrive in freshwater rather than brackish and they are doing awsome btw
they are in there to clean up the dead shrimp and plant matter which they do well

true Siamese algae eaters-its a big tank and they are disposable im not worried

fighters, bettas and yes i did my research and talked to quite a few betta guys, i managed to get a very submissive male with a harem of 4 submissive females, again big tank, heavily planted lots of cover and monitored, and they are lazy, often swimming as a group, i won the lotto for now lol

the shrimp are in there as food/scavengers if they wernt being eaten they arnt doing their job right, again lots of cover ect....

ON TOPIC THO is the situation of my plants being eaten not my shrimp and by a cat not a crab
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Just be forewarned: A peaceful betta can turn on the community tank its in for no apparently reason at any time. One betta keeper who's has this species of fish for many many maaany years had a male turn and start hunting the other fish in its community tank after a year of being very uninterested in the others. They had to move ti before the betta killed anyone.

On topic I'd go with mcslabs' suggestion or if you don't feel like doing either of those options buy some pre-grown cat grass at the petstore. When I had cats I couldn't keep riparium plants that they could get access to. Covering the shelves/tables where they'd jump up with other items helped deter it.
Not sure how a vinigar spray will effect a tank. Some people use citrus sprays to deter cats, if you could get a truly organic citrus spray perhaps try that? Test it first thought, it kept 2 of mine away, but the 3rd loved citrus =.=

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Cat: The other white meat

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
Cat: The other white meat
Tastes like catfish!! (probably not)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Tastes like catfish!! (probably not)
Deep fried in corn mean with a little hot sauce eh maybe lol.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
Deep fried in corn mean with a little hot sauce eh maybe lol.
seriously an option, he eats my plants i eat him sounds fair

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Just be forewarned: A peaceful betta can turn on the community tank its in for no apparently reason at any time. One betta keeper who's has this species of fish for many many maaany years had a male turn and start hunting the other fish in its community tank after a year of being very uninterested in the others. They had to move ti before the betta killed anyone.
Yeah we are keeping an eye on him and the female bettas, we have spare tanks we can use just in case: The main thing is that we have stocked the tank with the bettas in mind, the snails, corys and crabs are armored the Siamese algae eaters are faster, the African butterfly fish is bigger and meaner and the shrimp are disposable

if he turns, the butterfly fish will slap him back into position
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

As for the cat first the plants next your fish. Where does it end?

75G Seachem Flourite

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:08 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
How about a glass cover for the tank.
dcutl002 and dcutl002 like this.

Zapins
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My cats make mincemeat out of any plant they can get a hold of. It has to be out of their reach or anything gets used as a toothpick. My riparium is way out of their reach of I don't think any spray etc would stop them.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
How about a glass cover for the tank.
the plants grow out of my hood

Bump: i might give up on the riparium dream for now and stick with my underwater forest, at least he did this in the early stages when it was just the aluminium plants and not the sedges and peace lilly i was looking at adding this weekend
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Algae Grower

You could try Grannick's Bitter Apple spray. You could wipe down the leaves with a cotton ball. I would be careful to not get any in the tank. It may or may not work. Some critters do not care what things taste like, they are just compelled I guess. If you add a peace lily, that may "cure" the problem. They cause oral pain, drooling and vomiting when dogs & cats chew/eat them. There is also a thing called The Pet Corrector. It is kinda like one of those disposable air horn things but instead of a horn sound it is a REALLY loud hiss. When you cat gets up to where it can chew the leaves you "blast" it with the hiss, scaring it off. If you let the cat or dog see the corrector every time before you use it, often the sight of it is all that is needed. This has worked pretty well training my 2 cats to stay off the kitchen counters (at least when I'm home). It's not an immediate fix but if you stick with it, it will solve the problem.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would give the cat his own plants to chew. They sell trays of cat grass, cat nip, etc. at pet and garden stores.

Put them some place convenient for him (his favorite sunny windowsill? near his bed?) and hopefully he'll prefer them to your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode