Lego got me in this. :B Carnivores Collection! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Lego got me in this. :B Carnivores Collection!

What I've Got.
Sarracenia x 'Judith Hindle'
Drosera ??
Nepenthes ??
---------------------------------------------

Anyway, I was by Lowes shopping for my 'future' Phal Orchid. I was looking for Bark and Perlite, when I saw what Lego calls 'The Death Box'. Each one had a little CP in it, and a Nepenthes really caught my eye. Went back on monday, got a NA pitcher and a sundew. W00t! I only know the Sarr is a Judith Hindle, but I am clueless about the others. Any ID's?

Here is my Nep. I think it is either a Gracilis or a x ventrata?

My Drosera.

Here is my Judith Hindle, It will probably got outside when it gets new pitchers.

Here is my setup

i love corydoras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Haha looking good! CP's are more addictive than cacti and succs, just so you know .

With the Nep, it's pretty much impossible to properly ID it without seeing a mature pitcher. Give it a couple months to grow and form new pitchers. Keep this one moist, but not soggy.

The Sarra will be perfectly happy right next to your succs outdoors. They both like about the same temps and light levels, just make sure to keep the Sarr in a tray of R/O water to keep the soil wet at all times until next fall when it enters dormancy. You may want to repot it in a 50/50 mix of spaghnum peat and inert sand though.

The Drosera is most likely D. adelae. It should be perfectly happy in the terrarium or in a very bright area away from direct afternoon sun (this isn't normal for most 'dews. They usually like as much light as they can get). You can keep this one pretty wet, just not waterlogged.

Just remember, no fertilizers and only use R/O or distilled water. Have fun!

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the info! I removed the Sundew from the pot, and drained water from the sphagnum sheet. Hopefully that works. I'm also googling how to replant a Sarr, spilling the acids makes me nervous.
Also, somethig I did not mention was that I bought crickets. Viewing them on the way home made me somewhat attached to them. Is it okay if I only feed the dead ones? They are currently being housed in a 5gal bucket with paper rolls, bread, lettuce, and a moist cottonball.
What is inert sand, BTW? Is it playsand?

i love corydoras

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay, I just repotted the Sarr into a sand-peat mix. I heard it was okay.
Quote:
Inert : Should be (assuming it is pure quartz). May contain calcium carbonate which may raise your pH undesirably.
http://www.aquariumslife.com/uncateg...and-substrate/

I also added a sphagnum top layer, just to keep humidity. I placed it outside, right next to the Irish Bouquet. The tank looks emptier now. :B
I was also amazed to see that the roots look the same like other plants, cool. I left the ball of peat It was hanging on, too. I read you shouldn't completely take out the substrate or you will disturb the plant. Anyways, I gotta run! Bye!

i love corydoras
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Aroid Addict

No problem man. Dead insects are just fine for the pitchers, but the dew usually needs a bit of movement to trigger the leaf to close (sort of like VFTs). I wouldn't worry about feeding them until they start to grow though. They'll all need to grow new roots and leaves and establish themselves before it'll start feeding. Just a couple bugs a month!

That Judith Hindle will look great later in the year when it's pitchers are really going. I can't wait to get mine out of dormancy.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome to the CP side of the hobby. Sarracenia's look best in the cool fall weather. They really color up then.

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've doubled my growing list by a lot. Here it is, by the way.

Nepenthes
Highland
N. x ventrata x2
N. x 'Judith Finn'
N. sanguinea
N. x 'Miranda'

Lowland
N. rafflesiana??

Drosera
D. adelae x??
D. capensis "All Red"
D. burmannii x2
D. spatulata

Sarracenia
S. x'Judith Hindle'
S. flava
S. leucophylla

Dionaea
D. muscipula 'Typical' x2

Utricularia
U. bisquamata

My Lowlanders aren't really doing good, I'm going to try to coffee them. The rest of the plants are great! They practically doubled in size over the few weeks I've had them.

Last edited by limeslide; 04-14-2010 at 10:12 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Aroid Addict

Holy cow! That's quite a list you accumulated there. Did you order from a website or did you find all these locally?

---

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
My Lowlanders aren't really doing good, I'm going to try to coffee them.
What do you mean by "coffee them"?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
Holy cow! That's quite a list you accumulated there. Did you order from a website or did you find all these locally?
Online Trades, Online shops, Lowes.

Quote:
What do you mean by "coffee them"?
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119045
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyway, seems both the N. rafflesiana and N. ampullaria are going to die soon, but my D. burmannii is sending out a flower stalk, hopefully some seeds root!

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Limeslide. As the thread said about watering with coffee, try it first on a few expendible plants before watering all of your plants.

I've soaked peat moss in water to use to water my plants with no harm. The coffee idea sounds good.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Aroid Addict

Update!!!

---

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lol!
There's too much I don't know where to start....

I'm too lazy to resize the picters, so I'll just give you a link to my growlist. XD
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...402#post962402

This is a sneak peak of my plants....
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Aroid Addict

Dang dude, that's quite a grow list for only 3 month's time. I think you're hooked deep . If you get any divisions from the Stylidium or babies from the D. intermedia, hit me up.

---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode