Lime's Succulent & Cacti collection! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Lime's Succulent & Cacti collection!

We where just going to buy playsand, and a bucket at Hope Depot when we stopped by the plant section of the store and started looking at Bromeliads and Orchids, when my brother pointed out the Succulents and Cacti. I just had to have some, I alway ended up killing my other indoor plants, and since succulents are 'drought' resistant, I thought I could use this as an opportunity to own plants! Yay! So, I took out my old cracked 10 gallon and set it to work. I also switched the UV light that I used on my crabs for a lamp, and set the UV for the plants. I planted them in a rock/sand/peat/perlite mix, and they are in tupperwares in the tank. Still debating if I want to actually put the sand on the tank though, it would look cool. The plants I chose are....

Aloinopsis luckhoffii
Fenestraria aurantiaca or Baby Toes
Portulcaria afra 'Variegata' or Rainbow Elephant Bush
Aeonium spp. or Aeonium 'Irish Bouquet'
Sedum praeltrum cristata

I may later add on more plants, and remove some outside so they can grow bigger (Irish B, Rainbow Bush, Cristata). Anyways, here are the pictures.

Rainbow

Irish B

Cristata

Baby T & Luckhoffii(The substrate may look like just playsand, but it's just a top layer for decoration.

LFS

i love corydoras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Lookin good! I don't want to see you repeat my mistake though, so I would definitely move those guys to the sunniest windowsill you have. If it stays above 40 at night where you're at, you can even move them outside in the sun (slowly, so they don't burn). Artificial light doesn't produce nearly the healthy growth that real sunlight does.

Also, be very careful not to overwater these guys since they're in mostly sand. If they don't take up the water quickly, it may just sit in the bottom of the containers and cause their roots to rot away almost overnight.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the tips. I just moved these guys outside, I'm pretty sure they will grow better there.

i love corydoras

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I'm positive they'll grow better there . Just be sure to start them in shade and move them to full sun over a couple weeks' time. They can sunburn pretty bad if not given an acclimation period

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry for the off topic question but what kind of crab did you have?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have 4 Coenobita Clypeatus.

i love corydoras
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
cool succulents!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
I'm positive they'll grow better there . Just be sure to start them in shade and move them to full sun over a couple weeks' time. They can sunburn pretty bad if not given an acclimation period
Ooh, I watch out for that.

i love corydoras
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

They are doing great, the Fenestraria aurantiaca did melt, but it is growing new toes! They seem to withstand the light better than the old ones.

i love corydoras

Tags
desert, dry, sand, succulents, uv lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode