Florida Biotope Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Mikevwall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Florida Biotope Paludarium

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and I want to make it into a biotope paludarium for the stinkpot musk turtle it is currently housing. Now, this species of turtle is not like most pond turtles that people keep as pets. It only reaches four inches in length and will only occasionally nip on plants and does not go after fish, so I know that it will work for a paludarium. For aquatic plants, I'm planning on using Phoenix moss, mermaid weed, Bacopa caroliniana, and hornwort. What kind of habitat would this resemble and are there anymore plants I could use for the water feature? I also know which epiphytes I'm going to use, but I'm completely lost on which land plants I'm doing. Any suggestions? Also, what fish do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Nobody? Alrighty then...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

I may be of a little assistance. I'm working on an Everglades Biotope.
This is my fish inventory: Inventory of Freshwater Fish Species within Big Cypress National Preserve: The Basis for a Long-Term Sampling Program
This is my plant inventory: http://myfwc.com/media/617887/Aquati...Identifier.pdf

I am not sure if the plants you already have are 'Florida Native'. But you can look those up.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

That was very helpful, thank you!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you have a specific locale in mind then you can use fishmap.org for native fish species selection. You can search by entire watershed, or by zip code, and it will provide all recorded/verified species within the search criteria AND, shows a map of ALL verified collection points for that species. For plants species, if you know the binomial name, you can use ISB: Atlas of Florida Plants to get collection point data.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I work at zoo Miami and we have these in our collection. They will root up most plants, rest assured.
Your best bet would be Anubias,Java fern, bolbitis that's already attached to something much heavier than the turtle. Attached moss would be ok. I'm literally ten minutes from Everglades national park, if you need something, pm me. I'm there all the time kayaking.

A DIY kinda GUY
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikevwall View Post
I'm literally ten minutes from Everglades national park, if you need something, pm me. I'm there all the time kayaking.
The Everglades is a VERY vulnerable wetland habitat. Your state is currently dumping billions of dollars into lifting portions of the Tamiami to encourage restoration of the ecosystem. I'm sure you have PLENTY of other places to source wild plants that aren't on Federal or State protected lands. Get your head on straight

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
The Everglades is a VERY vulnerable wetland habitat. Your state is currently dumping billions of dollars into lifting portions of the Tamiami to encourage restoration of the ecosystem. I'm sure you have PLENTY of other places to source wild plants that aren't on Federal or State protected lands. Get your head on straight
Let me try to save face here. I wrote that with 5 min before I had to clock in for work so couldn't be as detailed. Any plants I do harvest are from rim canals outside of protected lands. Same native and exotic species are found throughout the Everglades and sorrouding areas.
HDBenson and HDBenson like this.

A DIY kinda GUY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode