The Planted Tank Forum banner

Added FAKE decor in tank! lol

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  MikeS 
#1 ·
Right after adding my first live plant in an old aquarium years ago, I vowed I would always use "real" decor. No fake wood, ships, rocks, anything. You could always tell they were fake, and for me, just threw off the look. I always wanted to capture the look as if you were in a lake or something, and have it look like if you just put you head underwater and opened your eyes. The other week I was walking in a pet store with my son and in the reptile section, they had this crocodile skull (top half), and it looked good. Even some of the inner skull around the eyes was done to look real. So we bought it and put it in. I figure crocs die in the wild and their bones would sink. After about a week, it darkened (was bright at first) and looked killer. I had notice on the box it came in, they also made primate ones, again just the top half. So I got 2. I love the look!!!!! They too will darken in about a week.

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm not one for skulls personally, but I do have a t-rex hidden in my blyxa and an old car covered in moss.

Its my tank and I have fun with it. I don't pretend that my tank is perfect, its not a biotope it has African fish, and south american plants, I'm not fooling anyone so why not say a little man crashed his car in my artificial lake about the same time the fish swam in :flick:

#9 ·
I was secretly elated when the castles we had got shattered during the last move. Alas, the husband went out and bought a wrecked sub decoration last week and stuck it in "his" tank. At least we now have seperate tanks, so I don't have to tolerate that stuff in mine anymore.

#11 · (Edited)
Lol I like the mix of fake and live in mine, you can see it I actually just posted a thread about it on here.

Granted, all my plants are bright fluorescent colors and glow in the dark but bright and colorful was the look I wanted to go for. My reef has colors naturally and I couldn't have a tank with just some wood and plants sitting near it it would just be too boring and I'd never notice. With the black sand and colorful fish everything pops.

Now like a castle? No... no way.

#15 ·
I don't mind decor in the tank besides fake plants. To me the skulls just seem to stand out to much. If you could make them not so bright or put moss or fissedens. It might make it not stand out so much.

#16 ·
The skulls do stand out a little, but I like them. I have a fake 'waterfall' in my tank that looks like a rock formation, and those sunken ship decorations are always a little tempting.
Of course, I do have a cow vertebrae and a squirrel skeleton in my tank, both real!:tongue:

#17 ·
Of course, I do have a cow vertebrae and a squirrel skeleton in my tank, both real!:tongue:
Awesome!!

I don't mind decor in the tank besides fake plants. To me the skulls just seem to stand out to much. If you could make them not so bright or put moss or fissedens. It might make it not stand out so much.
They will darken, just like the croc one did. I have java moss near both, hoping that it will take to it.

Have an idea, of course it would mean rescaping the tank, and will post in new thread. Looking into some type of temple/mayan/indiana jones feel to it. Gonna need ideas though lol. I think doing something like that will let me really incorporate the skulls, but make them more a part of the tank, rather than a distraction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.