Getting ready for next year - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting ready for next year

So I'm getting ready for next year. My trial runs this year were kind of meh (plague of frogs...*shudder*). But I think I have things down pat for this summer tubbing thing. When I get back for Thanksgiving break, I'd like to get ready for next year! I'm not going to use the kiddie pool, especially after it degenerated into a frog marsh. I'm also going to try something to keep frogs out (probably by using a really tight netting connected to PVC). But mainly, I'm wondering how best to create green water conditions for next year.

I plan on breeding Danio tinwini, Microrasbora kubotai, Boraras briggitae, and/or Corydoras pygmaeus, as well as cherry shrimp.

I plan on using leaves to help induce a green water bloom, and then adding some daphnia eggs from Carolina biology, cherry shrimp, and blackworms/tubifex. All of which will be food, along with mosquito larvae that aggregate on the surface.

How many leaves should I add to the tub right now, and what mixture? My home currently has mulberry, apple, cherry, pear, oak, and other leaves. None are sprayed. Should I aim for a layer of leaves? If I add too many leaves, will I need to add an aerator or something to keep out anoxic conditions?

Finally, how do I keep out water beetles? I always find them in my tubs, and I know that they eat my fish.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Currently wondering if the pond people go into torpor or hibernation on this forum when it starts getting cold.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Planted Member

Oak leaves are great! But Remember Leaves may create black water conditions as they break down, releasing tannins and acidifying your water. I had a thick layer of oak leaves in the bottom of my bathtub pond and by the end of the year it had become a thick layer of mulm. I added some water from a local natural pond to innocult with some life. It was absolutely SWARMING with daphnia and different copepods until I added my American flag killifish. I never had green water though as I used barley straw pellets.
I put two fish in that pond and now i have way to many to count. And they were all well fed and have amazing colours.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Algae Grower

Don't forget to swap out some of the leaves every now and then and add new ones. I know the boraras briggitae fry love a leafy bottom. Word is they feed on the decomposing leaves in the early stages of development.

Just a layer or two of leaves, you won't need too many. Think of the bottom of a healthy waterway.

If you want to induce green water also add ammonia to no more than 5ppm + lots of sunlight.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode