Pond Liner adhesives - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Diana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
Pond Liner adhesives

I am looking for good adhesive that would bond and waterproof a pond liner sheet to rocks or cement.
appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
People recommend this.
Total Pond Waterfall Foam Sealant-A16523 - The Home Depot
It's a polyurethane and non-toxic when cured.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
People recommend this.
Total Pond Waterfall Foam Sealant-A16523 - The Home Depot
It's a polyurethane and non-toxic when cured.
This seems to be the product I am looking.

This is the pond I have back home. This is outside USA.
The pond is currently cemented. I ve been there for a vacation. It was raining heavily for days during the night but water would just drain in minutes. The pond has an outlet to drain all the water out to the sewer. I suspect the leak comes from there. Iam covering the whole pond with liner and I need a good quantities of adhesives.

I can let the pond liners go outside the pond perimeter to cover the edges and place some grass or rocks in front and on the left side. But as you can see in the rear part, there is no way of doing that. I have to let the pond liner bond to the rocks with adhesive. This condition is the same on the right side.

The pond size is 14' x 14' x 5' deep.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hve you done a Google search for pond sealers? I know it's not what you asked but there are other ways to seal than a liner. Home Depot has a product by Pond Armor called Pond Shield. It's an epoxy liner that comes in 1.5 qt and 1.5 gallon. A lot of info on the Pond Armor web site. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to take a look at bentonite.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Hve you done a Google search for pond sealers? I know it's not what you asked but there are other ways to seal than a liner. Home Depot has a product by Pond Armor called Pond Shield. It's an epoxy liner that comes in 1.5 qt and 1.5 gallon. A lot of info on the Pond Armor web site. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to take a look at .
Never heared. I just goggled and watched videos on youtube about Pond armor and bentonite clay. great info. thanks for sharing this!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:44 PM
ppp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I built a koi pond using an under liner and top rubber liner. Since you are covering the entire pond it is advisable to use large sheet that will cover the entire pond. The rubber sheet is held in place by decorative rocks and boulders
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp View Post
The rubber sheet is held in place by decorative rocks and boulders
Yeah, but i have a condition at the back where I cant hide or make an "overlap" and cover with boulders or flat stones since it is a wall of a waterfall. So. I have to use and adhesives to stick the pond liner.

Here is my sketch to better understand what I mean. Hope this help.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:27 AM
ppp
Algae Grower

Is there anyway you can cut in a short ledge - say about 12-18 inches...flap the liner onto this ledge and hold it in place with flagstones? In your design, even the slightest failure in adhesive will lead to water seepage. Do you have a pic of your waterfall? How wide is the waterfall?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Is there anyway you can cut in a short ledge - say about 12-18 inches...flap the liner onto this ledge and hold it in place with flagstones? In your design, even the slightest failure in adhesive will lead to water seepage. Do you have a pic of your waterfall? How wide is the waterfall?
The pond is 5'-0" deep. From the lowest point of the pond to top of waterfall is about 10'-0" high and about 6' to 8' wide. The waterfall is made up of stones place on top of one another. Cant do a ledge attach to those stones. But, that's a good idea.

I am basically getting into a cheapest route just by using good quality adhesives for the liner sheet in the area of the waterfall.

Red dots is the waterfall.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 PM
ppp
Algae Grower

Does the waterfall start at the top ledge? If you suspect that the leak is at the drain, one option would be to cover the floor of the pond and take the lined only a couple of feet above the side walls and hold it in place with stones. Fill any gaps with pond foam. Note that this foam is not a strong load bearing product. Attaching a couple of pics of my pond during construction
Attached Images

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Does the waterfall start at the top ledge? If you suspect that the leak is at the drain, one option would be to cover the floor of the pond and take the lined only a couple of feet above the side walls and hold it in place with stones. Fill any gaps with pond foam. Note that this foam is not a strong load bearing product. Attaching a couple of pics of my pond during construction
Nice pond layout.

What foam brand did you use when you construct that pond?

Last edited by herns; 11-30-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 AM
ppp
Algae Grower

Beckett ... It is black when you first use it but does change color over time...to a brownish tone. This was not an issue for me as I used it behind boulders and rocks .
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There is also a pond type of silicone that is black, and sticks better than other silicones to the EPDM pond liner. It works really well as a sealant if you can sandwich the pond liner between something. Example: Use it sort of like a gasket in a bulkhead.
It would be my choice of 'adhesive' in this situation. It is not really that great, though. The pond liner will need to pretty much hold itself there, and this is just a little added insurance.
herns and herns like this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm using polyurethane roof sealant to seal plumbing/pvc bulkhead into the liner and liner onto a slate tile. It works well but does need about 24 hours to cure so you need to apply some pressure to the glued area. It comes in black and darn cheap.
You can get it in any hardware store.

I even used it to patch up a small hole in the liner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 AM
Algae Grower

Location: 494 Bridgeport Ave. Suite 101 PMB 342 Shelton Connecticut USA 06484
You can try Pondpro2000, It is solitary pond liner which is equally useful as Pond Liner repair to join seams and make it 100% leak proof.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode