Any foreseeable issues with this container pond design? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any foreseeable issues with this container pond design?

First off, this will be indoors. I have no desire to contend with raccoons, neighborhood cats, carnivorous dragonfly larvae, and Texas heat.
I want to set up a container pond indoors, and I intend to stock it mostly (possibly completely) with native plants and critters. It's intended to be a Central Texas bio-tope, and it's modeled after a spot near me where a river temporarily splits up into a lot of streams.
I have enough space for a container slightly larger than 3' long by 18" wide. This is my general plan, though I won't adhere strictly to it. I already have all the driftwood.

I'll put a pump on the left side to provide a mild current and some circulation, and the area directly in the pump's flow will be mostly river pebbles, possibly with something small added in to fill all the gaps so food doesn't get lost. The plants along the bottom edge will be things that are fine with current, of course.
The driftwood is in place to break the flow of water so that the area on the right can be reserved for plants that aren't fond of flow. I think I'd like a water lily, though I may have to get a dwarf one somewhere. Our local water lilies are technically native, but are considered invasive by many pond-owners because they can smother other plants out.
I won't fill the container completely, to help lessen the chances of jumps, and I intend to circle the edge completely with things. Plexiglass in that one spot so that the water can't splash out, but mostly just emergent plants of various types. I may weave some sort of vine or invisible mesh through the emergent plants, especially in the back, to help fill in the gaps. I'm also going to provide a lot of boltholes, and I'm going to try to select fish that are prone to racing for cover rather than leaping.
I have a grow-light I may be able to hang over this. Also, it'll be right next to a west-facing window, and I can adjust the curtains as needed. I can probably raise the hem of the curtain enough that light gets in without heating up my room too much.

SO: Anybody see any issues with this layout? Anything I should be aware of?

Anyone have any input on stock? I'll be researching this more fully once I figure out the exact logistics of the pond itself. I'd prefer to keep native Texas fish, or at least fish from this general area of North America. Also, it's awesome when I can catch the fish myself.
Potential fish (I will not be keeping all of these species, this is just musing):
The 8 blacktail shiners I need to move before my warmouth sunfish eats them (Essentially 3.5" danios).
A smaller shiner species?
Some sort of darter? We have orangethroat, slough, and a few others.
Logperch? 6" darters, basically. Not sure if they're too large.
Sailfin mollies, probably, if I can find some. I'll probably stick with all males or all females.
Maybe a group of male gambusia? Smaller than females and a bit less bitey, plus they won't be tiny baby factories. Though, can they interbreed with sailfin mollies?
Some form of minnow? Suggestions?
I saw some very pretty fish nearby at one point that I think may have been Southern dace, though they aren't supposed to be this far south. Maybe some sort of dace, if they're native?
Do we have native freshwater grass shrimp in Texas?
I'll probably add in a few pond snails from the local river. Not ramshorns, those eat plants, but I like pond snailies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode