Aquarium plants in ponds? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium plants in ponds?

My mom has a 2000g pond in her back yard that has aglea issues. She wants to just chemical treat it to clear the algea, which I'm strongly against. Would it be advisable to plant some of my faster growing aquarium plants in it (anaicharis, water wisteria & water sprite)? Will this even put a dent in her algea issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Anacharis is a common pond plant any way...just don't let it get loose. Unsure how much it would affect the algae issue.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anacharis is a fast grower, pulls nitrates/nitrites and ammonia from the water column, but alone isnt going to clear up her water. Algaecides also tend to be ineffective unless done properly. Algae stresses and releases spores as it's attacked by active ingredients in algaecide. So you get rid of what's there, but unless you remove the spores from the system from either a water change or UV sterilizer, then it's going to come back quickly.

A few things you can consider doing:
-Cover more of the surface of the pond w/ things like floaters (water hyacinth, water lettuce, water lily pads do this well also). This can help to minimize the amount of light feeding that algae.
-Adding more aquatic plants of any kind can generally help to out-compete for nutrients w/ the algae i.e. marginals like iris, creeping jenny, rushes, grasses, etc. "oxygenators" like anacharis, hornwort, lileaopsis...
-Doing a 1/3 water change on top of all this can help to dilute the concentration of waste/nutrients in the water which the algae is feeding on.
-Research products like "green clean" or barley straw, barley pellets, barley extract, or lavender stalks. All of these will release hydrogen peroxide as they decay which is shown to help prevent algae growth. Usually you'd put something like this in at the beginning of the season so it can start breaking down and doing its thing by this time of the season. You can even consider dosing plain old hydrogen peroxide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am actually successfully growing a bunch of aquarium plants outdoors. I am growing 3 oxelot swords, dwarf sag, ludwigia repens, blyxa japonica, pealr weed, and a lot of e,mersed grow plants outside in ponds or using natural sunlight!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanauts View Post
I am actually successfully growing a bunch of aquarium plants outdoors. I am growing 3 oxelot swords, dwarf sag, ludwigia repens, blyxa japonica, pealr weed, and a lot of e,mersed grow plants outside in ponds or using natural sunlight!
This isn't about growing them as much as trying to reduce algae in his mother's pond, if I understand the OP correctly.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
This isn't about growing them as much as trying to reduce algae in his mother's pond, if I understand the OP correctly.
True
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Is it green water or algae growing on the sides. A uv light will make short work of green water if there is circulation and a filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode