Plants for Waterfall? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants for Waterfall?

Now that we have replaced 50 feet of tubing (I really don't want to do that again for a long time), and our pond is OFFICIALLY up and running, we are already starting to think about plants. I want to plant our waterfall tub. There's about 4" or so of water above the media, that I would love to be able to put pots in, and the shelves around the outside as well, are asking for some plants. I really want nitrate and phosphate hungry plants. I tried floaters in the pond, and well, my koi ate every single one.

I might try some fast growing plants in the pond itself, but I really want to get some plants that will not only look nice, but can tolerate the waterfall tub's water movement and act as another layer of filtration.

There's a picture of the tub. It doesn't get a LOT of sun, which is what makes it difficult to find good plants for this pond.

We are redoing that area a bit now, since we pretty much decimated the area to get the old pipe out. But thats the general idea of how it looks when the plants start coming in.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you could inflate a clear tube, string it across the top of the falls and use it to keep floaters up there.. when it grows in and fills up the top harvest a bunch and put below the falls for Koi food and let it grow back.. perhaps you can get ahead of your koi in time and get it to establish in the main pond... floaters wont be limited by co2 and will suck up nutrients fast with direct sunlight.. there's some frogsbit varieties out there that are very nutritious for koi..

I do this in my goldfish tank, grow the floaters in other tanks and when they need pruned back I toss a few handfulls to the goldfish.. now some is starting to survive the goldfish tank as I am adding it faster than there eating it...
Perhaps you can setup a kiddy pool temporarily in direct sunlight, with a pump and plenty of nutrients. Wait until it gets packed with floaters and then move em to your pond in one big go.. do the top of the falls at the same time and then you have a safe source to resupply the pond with regularly... the initial colony may be so large it could grow faster than its eaten, if not it will be easier to maintain it at that level.

Great looking pond by the way, hope to have one as nice looking in my future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nayr; 05-04-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added my experience
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Home depot and the like sell a few pond plants. My dad has a pond with a few of their plants, they all grew really well, but you might have to grow them in a separate tub or a floating pot until they're big enough so that the Koi won't eat them. That what my dad did, he keeps a few red eared sliders and had the same dilemma.

DIY Enthusiast

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For top of biofilter we use water hyacinth. Feather roots, love the flow, heavy filters, will bloom annually, die in the winter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Creeping Jenny does well between the rocks and even slightly in the waterfall for a great look; sword plants, pickerel weed, iris', and even, Ludwigia sp all look great and survive winters after they look like they die back and go dormant; at least in NC where my coldest temps the past few winters has been just below zero

John 14:6
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John 14:6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Second Creeping Jenny, I have a ton of it growing around my pond. It is a pretty versatile ground covering plant that does well both as regular terrestrial plant as well as a submerged aquatic plant. The patch I noticed when we moved in to our house has increased in size every year but I don't mind it, it looks good as it is as well as when it flowers. It creeps over the ground, up over rocks surrounding my pond, and then down into the pond and continues to grow in the water. My fish will pick at it and spawn in it.

I have another plant I need to look up that I bought in a small floating planter. It has neat leaves that are green with reddish edges. I set it in the bio falls and the stuff grew out like crazy and filled the falls basin and looked really great and added filtration and frog habitat.

I keep wanting to do something with my biofalls to convert into more a bog setup but haven't had the nerve or really a good plan to follow through with yet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode