RCS outdoor tank (seasonal) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
RCS outdoor tank (seasonal)

So I'll be moving here shortly and I'm highly considering moving my RCS colony into a 46 bowfront tank I have, but placing it outside. It should get direct sunlight for a good deal of the spring/summer/fall, the tank is already planted and full of moss, plus what they have in their 5 gallon now.

I'm thinking of just setting the tank up, filling, adjusting the shrimp, and letting them go wild with no help from me what so ever. no filter, no heater, no WC, no food, nothing.

anyone ever do this? any problems arise?
I know some people have done it in the past with like 55 gallon drums to breed the shrimp, but I wasn't sure how much they were involved.

edit: ok not a pond, but outdoor question, just wasn't sure where else to go with this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have read a lot of people having theyre RCS outside in plastic drums. I raise them in all my tanks and when I am on Christmas vacation (like I am now) I just leave them alone and they thrive even with little water in the tank when I get back.

The only problem youre going to have is not having a heater. They can stand the cold but won't berry if they are and will eventually die if cold. But honestly if the tank doesn't freeze solid they will survive (well a few will) Its worth a try and they are like cockroaches honestly and really hard to kill! I have had the same ones in a 10 gallon tank for over 4 years and theyre still trucking! They should be fine and hopefully you find a ton of new ones! Good luck!

So overall the only problem is heat! Don't let the tank freeze and itll be okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
If "here" is Iowa, that's probably too cold in the winter for RCS to survive outside. Their native habitat is Taiwan, which doesn't get below around 50 degrees.

Joan

My Tank Journal:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
yeah I know winter in a tank or tub is to cold, as water freezes quite well here in winter lol
thanks for the replies, and sorry for being slow. I haven't been checking the site as much as I should, but I tended to notice I'd spend more money when I'd get idea happy from this place, so I tried to avoid it for a bit.
I think for the warmer months I may just throw up an outside tank with some shrimp, just for giggles if nothing else

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I did something like this a few years ago, here's the old thread (not sure if all the pics are still up): https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=166773

You'd probably want some fish to eat mosquitos, I had platies in with mine and still had a stable shrimp population. Just keep in mind if you have fish you'll rarely see the shrimp, every now and then a big one might feed near the surface.

current:

| retired:

|
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
but placing it outside. It should get direct sunlight for a good deal of the spring/summer/fall,
direct sunlight... I had thought of doing something similar but with plants and was worried the plants at the surface would melt from direct sunlight (high heat)... also, the water will eventualy dry so unless if you can top off, you may loose plants at close to the water line.

If not using plants, shouldn't be a problem though.

Last edited by aquariumhobbyist; 04-28-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Planted Member

2 months in on same project. No probs so far ex minor green water bloom. Trying UV for this. You may want UV if filtering outside or severely limit sunlight
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Planted Member

I've had RCS in this bathtub tank for almost 3 years. I have a heater designed it said on the packaging for a 400 gallon pond in it. In the summer it stays around 66 degrees, but in the winter I have to keep it around 75 but the heater is actually turned up to like 80. I live in Texas, but it does get around 39 in the winter, and the year before last it actually snowed. The shrimp actually hitchhiked in on some plants and took off on their own. Their other inhabitants are guppies. I've never put food in the pond at all or actually even bothered to cycle it. I just filled it, put in plants, waited a few months and put in guppies. Like I said the shrimp took off on their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2720.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	471921  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

It is lovely! I'm glad you've found your RCS to be so hardy!

My 20 Gallon Long Plant Collection:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water7 View Post
It is lovely! I'm glad you've found your RCS to be so hardy!
I think RCS is Red Cherry Shrimp; they are one of the most hardy of the shrimp lot ime.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode