Looking into building a pond - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking into building a pond

Hey all. Looking into building a pond here in my backyard in NJ for a channel cat thats outgrowing my tank slowly but surely. What size might i need? Was looking at like a 6x8, maybe a bit bigger? What would i be looking at as far as cost for materials and pumps and all? Would koi and stuff survive outdoors in the winter here with just a basic heater they offer?
If its a ridiculous amount of money ill look into having it adopted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm in Jersey too. Built my pond last year and used Firestone EPDM liner and underlayment. It's the most expensive type of liner, but it's worth the extra money. It's longer lasting and easier to lay then the cheap stuff. My pond is 3 ft deep and roughly 8 x 6. My koi and goldfish survived this last winter, with no heater, just a big Rio powerhead pumping water straight up like a fountain. My waterfall was off, so I just used the powerhead. It did freeze over completely for awhile this past winter, but then again, this past winter was brutally cold. They all made it though. I did drill a few holes in the ice to help gas exchange.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
All you need for winter is a bubbler and a small heater. The small heater is important in case it completely ices over, as it will keep a small hole in the ice to allow for gas exchange, without the hole, no gas exchange=no CO2 and other stuff gassing off.

And ponds can be pretty expensive fast, but they are definitely relaxing. I just spent 1300 at the pond warehouse by us for a new swimmer and pump, but I think the two big ones are 1. plan it out, and 2. make sure you have one of the floating shutoff valves next to your pump. Old skimmer didn't have room, and we have lost 3 450.00 pumps in 11 years. A lot of places by us have kits that come with liner (good liner at that), a pump, skimmer kit, and all the necessary plumbing/hardware to put it all together. I think we paid around 3000 for it, the pumps have died due to human error. The lining on the other hand is still in awesome shape despite the wear and tear, still have 10 years left the warranty, they come with Easy Pro pumps which are AWESOME pumps both energy wise and pump power too. I highly recommend the Easy Pro kits if you can find them.

Ponds can get expensive, but once they are up and running, they are less work IMO then a fish tank, and totally worth it. I think the bigger expense is the electric bill... Putting your pump on a timer 6 hours on 6 off, 6 on, 6 off, will save you money big time lol.

As far as size, my fish guy (fish biologist for 10+years) says to go by .01 pounds per gallon. So for a 4000 gallon pond, you could stock with 40 pounds of fish, so in my case thats about 8 full grown koi. Not sure on the size of a full grown Channel Cat. Which I think is a way better way to measure pond stocking levels then inches etc. I do highly suggest making it deeper then you think though. Not only will it keep birds away, and being I hail from NJ, I know herons can be a pain, but it will also be warmer down at the bottom during the winter.

Kits: http://easypropondproducts.com/water...x-10-pond.html

Last edited by Little Soprano; 05-17-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome. I Was looking at some kits on drfostersmith.com and they had some at like 800$ or so for a 6x8 kit with filter and all.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=10178
Too good to be true?

Eheim Pimp # 434
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I Should also point out we have dogs so if possible id like the top of the pond to be raised a foot or two out of the ground so they dont jump in (the golden retriever is often found taking a swim in the pool). Anyone ever do this?

Eheim Pimp # 434
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can elevate the pond, but here are a few things to think about:
1) If the pond is in the soil that insulates the pond so it does not freeze quite as fast. Any exposed (elevated) part is subject to getting colder, faster, and in your cold area I would not recommend it. You would still have to dig it in deeper than the frost line based on the surrounding soil, not the elevated part of the pond.
2) A foot high is not enough to slow down a Golden Retriever.
3) You have to do something with the soil you dig out, so you could pile it up around the pond and make a mound or raised planter area. A mass of soil like this would insulate. If you built a retaining wall around the outside you could also add some fencing to keep the dog out.
4) Water is usually found in low spots in nature, not elevated from the surroundings. It will look more natural to have the pond in a low part of the garden, or at least at ground level.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hello AquariumNoob. I am in old bridge. Pm me. Stop over and check out my koi pond. Ponds are like most things in life. It could always be bigger. 6x8 great for gold fish, small for koi.

Ken

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode