Pond for a high school - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pond for a high school

My agriculture class is about to break ground on a koi pond for our butterfly garden. We want the pond to be between 1,000 to 2,000 gallons.

We have many ideas as to what our principal wants but no "real" direction.

While having a conversation with him about how much this was going to cost he wanted specific numbers. For example what is the cost difference between using shale or limestone?

I would prefer shale but limestone is readilly available here in Miami, Florida.

Anorther question that came up was pond depth. I wanted to go 3 feet but he says no more than 2 just in case a toddler falls in.

I'm basically dealing with many limitations since it will be in a public place.

Below is picture of what I consider the "perfect" pond for our school.

I imagine this would cost somewhere between $2,500 to $3,000 for our students to build.

Any and all input is welcomed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-07 15.12.42.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	234297
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Highschool + Pond = Bubble Fountain AT LEAST once a year. Probably more like 2-4 times a year. Wouldn't bother putting anything in there that can die.

Also, a 2 foot pond is just a silver platter for raccoons and heron. Sorry, but I just don't see this project going well...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know what you mean and I have some serious reservations of my own but we are going through with it.

We have decided to deal with problems as they arise.

Worst case scenerio is that it ends up as a water garden.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, in that case... I guess dig a hole, throw a fabric liner down and focus on the rockscape. I believe limestone will leach minerals into the water, but if this is just a "water hole" type of project, I guess it won't matter. Throw some water hyacinths and flowering water weeds in there and it should be fine. The shallow depth would at least be good for some potted lillies and such, but I doubt much fauna would flourish... Maybe some mosquito fish for pest control?

--Oh, and if you go the fabric liner route, ensure you put extra carpet/newspaper/whatever down, as I'm sure whoever gets stuck with cleaning it in a couple years won't care much if they puncture it...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Building anything like that large wall behind it will call for some engineering. That is a retaining wall where ever the soil is behind it, then a free standing wall above that. Is it also a waterfall? Plumbing needs to be incorporated in the structure, or at least installed through the structure if the actual pipes are in the soil behind the wall. Is the wall to hide the filter and pump?
The seat height wall in front of the pond is easier, but still best to have a proper design done by a professional.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Sounds like a huge liability to have a class build instead of having professionally done. Also in terms of safety, it would have to be basically inclosed. 2 or 3 feet doesn't matter even if it was 1 foot it's still a drowning hazard and not only to toddlers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph50 View Post
I know what you mean and I have some serious reservations of my own but we are going through with it.

We have decided to deal with problems as they arise.

Worst case scenerio is that it ends up as a water garden.
worse case scenerio someone dies.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Safe water garden, no open pool of water.

Pondless water fall.

In the area covered with rock, but wet under the rocks you can grow plants that grow in the margins of lakes and streams and in damp soil.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspell View Post
Highschool + Pond = Bubble Fountain AT LEAST once a year. Probably more like 2-4 times a year. Wouldn't bother putting anything in there that can die.
This is going to be one of your biggest problems. If you can get it working by any means then that's awesome, but it really doesn't matter if all of your fish get killed by some juvinile [censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]. Believe it or not, the first thing that a "normal" kid (for this decade) thinks of when they see any type of potentially volatile display is "I could screw them over by killing their fish/plants with ______."

Not saying that it isn't possible, but it's sketchy at best. I'm in a similar decision making situation as you are with a club that I'm leading at my college. We're planning on setting up tanks and Aquaponics displays around campus, but there's the issue of the average unsupervised American teenager. The solution has been to lock anything we do down tighter than anything you've ever seen. Even with that solution, we haven't done anything good yet.

Another thing is that it really needs to be designed. If you have a drafting or engineering class at your school, see if some of those students could help your class for extra credit or something. Come up with the design constraints, send them to the designers, then have your class build it exactly as the design shows. I'm talking 3d models of all the plumbing, plans for the thickness of materials, ratings for the planned materials, everything! You absolutely cannot just build this kind of thing, if it was an individual doing it then the story would be different, but some form of solid management and plan has to be in place with this number of people and this amount of funding. Remember, you've only got one shot at this, if it fails this time, you (and probably anyone in your district) will ever be allowed to try it again.

People are too often merely stating an assumed truth from flawed observation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode