Large Natural Pond With Possible Carp Issue - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
Large Natural Pond With Possible Carp Issue

Hey guys,

I have land in upstate new york with a very large pond. the idea was to make it as natural as possible, which turned out to be very successful. there are sunnies, largemouth bass, snapping turtles, box turtles, frogs, muskrats, salamanders, loads of plants, and unfortunately carp. i'm assuming they are silver carp because that's the color of their body. i know that it is very easy for them to overpopulate a pond in a short amount of time, so i'm wondering if all the natural predators in the pond will actually be able to control the carp population. if i had to guess, the pond is about 50 feet in length, 20 feet deep (only on one side), and 20-30 feet across. the pond can hold a lot of fish and there are at least 20 bass that are around 12 inches long.

all i'm basically asking for is what are the chances of silver carp overpopulating a pond that holds largemouth bass and other predators? also, the pond has been around for about 20 years so we're not exactly sure when the carp first showed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

if you need any more info, let me know and i'll do the best i can. i'll also try to find some pictures of the pond and some of its inhabitants.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
idk if you know this or not but the asian carp is taking over lake erie, and people really cant do much to stop it, but the pond sounds awesome! i have 3 turtles XD

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Start fishing
Cull out the adult carps. The babies should be food for the large mouth.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
You probably have normal carp and not silver carp. I don't think silver carp can spawn successfully in ponds from what I remember when I did a report on aquaculture.

I agree that you should start fishing them out. I doubt that you'll be able to keep them control with any predator in a pond that size.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

Other than trap netting them (very difficult with 20' of depth), you're pretty much limited to angling or poison (rotenone). Since I have no idea what permits are required by DEC to reclaim the pond by killing the fish, it's time to start working on your dough ball and bolt rig technique.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so it sounds like i'm going to have an unlimited supply of bait for the bass then ;]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Carp love corn! Go to the local bate shop and tell them free carp fishing on your pond, you might get some fishermen to take care of it. Or go out in a boat and drive two steel post 10 or 15 feet apart at one end of the pond, connect two wire one on top of each post run them back to shore. Dump 2 or 3 cans of corn ( or something carp like ) between the two post, when the carp are starting to eat really good connect the wires ( one + and one - ) to a power source like a generator, it will kill or stun all the fish between the two post. And this is illegal so it's just a story.

l---------------->+

l______________>_
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You have no catfish right? Get a crap ton of jug lines and throw lines with corn on them and leave em for a night or two. Drag in your hull and start all over. That should probably wipe out your problem relatively quickly.... In texas you can have 100 hooks out per person. You and 5 friends could clear out a pond of its breeding carp in about a month I would say.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Shooting carp with bow and arrow is a blast.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Sounds like a good week of fishing to me.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Chlora13
There are native catfish around, i would be careful and do a successful ID before angling. Can I get a picture? do they have barbels, and huge scales? If they are non native carp, usually the state doesnt have any laws on spearing, bow and arrow or other angling methods. if they are non native, they can become a huge problem, fast. I'd say lure them into a shallow area with a carcass of some sort, then use a long net to push them onto shore. although i do like the other ideas as well!

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows. ~Doug Larson

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode