Pond Canister Hoses - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Pond Canister Hoses

EDIT!!!! Did I mess up???? Does the canisters require an additional submersible pump as well? I was thinking it is just like my Rena Xp3, where you just hook it up. I think I messed up!

I just bought this for my Grandpa who has about a 400 gallon pond with Koi. This pond has been up and running for at least 10yrs. They will clean like once a year by draining and scrubing all the algae out. They just put the Koi in buckets. Crazy I know. He is getting older and is tired of buying the cheap suction pumps from Harbor Freight.

Anyways, what type of Hose or would you use PVC would you use for this canister? Does the canister need to be buried at all or can it just sit behind on level ground? Any suggestions?

Did I waste my money?

Last edited by djscotty; 05-05-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Regarding the hoses, check in HD/Lowes, in the Pond stuff section, they used to sell hoses. They are black and ribbed, and heavy duty, but still flexible. Of course you need to know the diameter of the inlets and outlets. The hose I got was 1" ID.

Not sure about the canister location... maybe someone else can chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks, Lowes has a 1" corregated hose for 18.00. 20' length. That solves that, lets hope this thing will work half decent.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
All pond canisters use submersible pumps. I don't know any that don't. Pond canisters need to move a crud ton more water and often times need to go up to as much as 10' of head pressure.

I have two 2' koi in a 500 gallon pond. I used a sand filter for about 3 years, which is a big old basin filed with fine grain grit and gravel with a tube feeding down to the bottom of the tub. Water goes down that tube and is forced up through the grit and flows back out of the pond. Then for about 6 years I used a canister filter with a 1000gph pump. Worked okay until the summer came around and algae blooms clogged it up. Now I use a gravity fed trickle/wet dry. Maintenance is way easier and my water is pristine as ever. It's a simple design: a tub + spraybar and venturi + a few inches of filter pad + ~2' deep of bio balls.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode