Livebearer Tub Pond - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Livebearer Tub Pond

I want to set up a tub pond in my backyard for breeding livebearers, but I'm not sure if it would work. Here's my plan:
20g plastic tub (the round kind with handles)
Hardy, fast-growing plants for waste control
Pool filter sand (do I need this if the plants aren't rooted?)

Fish would probably be swordtails (koi or showa) or maybe wild-type livebearers. I'll probably add some ramshorn or mystery snails, too.

Is there any reason this set-up wouldn't work? And since I live in south Alabama, when would it be safe to put the fish in, temperature-wise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You'll need insulation around the tub. It gets hot down there.
Some current in the tub would be great too.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
If I remember from some random survivor show, I thought it gets cooler as you dig farther down? And by a few degrees too. e.g. even in like a desert climate (which is where the show was at that episode).
Definitely would want something for circulation though.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What kind of insulation could I use? Since our house is rented, I don't think I could put the tub in the ground. Maybe I could put some kind of cover over it to reduce sun exposure. Not sure how that would work, though.

And I forgot to ask, is the tub likely to bow enough to cause a problem? Also, do I need to be worried about dragonfly nymphs or any other fish-eaters getting in the tub? As for circulation, I have an air pump I could use, but I'm not sure how it would stand up to outdoor use.

Proud member of
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
If you have a small garden or landscaped area, you could easily dig a small hole (you could always fill it back in with topsoil after your done).

I reference the garden or landscape area since you could purchase some terrestrial plants to surround the tub to give it some shade/cover.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
get some taller land plants to act as shade over your tub to keep the temps down, or put the tub in a shaded area, put a small pond water fountain/pump in the middle to stir the water and keep the temps down thru evaporation.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Children Boogie

Flower pots with plants around the tub should work, styrofoam too, bricks too.

I'd give it all shade. Shaded area will still get 200 or so PAR of light, good enough for aquatic plants without extra CO2. Full sun is 2000 PAR.

The fish will eat any mosquito larvae and most of the dragonfly larvae. I have a little goldfish pond and I still find some larvae in the plants and filter.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I will say that Guppies have always done well outdoors in my pond, I'll add 20-30 at the begginning of the season and by fall have easily 200-300 in my pond. Sucks that they cannot survive the winter.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Digging a hole is not an option at the moment; this will have to be an above-ground pond. Believe me, if I could dig a hole, I would go all-out with a real pond, not just this giant bucket.

How exactly do you cut styrofoam to fit a round tub?

Proud member of
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Well, lets get something out of the way then, how tall is the tub? You could surround the bucket with mulch bags also. Two bags would probably be enough if you could ramp it up about 6-8" high. This should give quite a bit of insulation to the bottom of the barrel and the ground and should retain some heat.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Children Boogie

You can build a wooden box frame around the tub. Fill the in between space with mulch or soil. With soil, you can plant plants. It'll look better too.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
You can build a wooden box frame around the tub. Fill the in between space with mulch or soil. With soil, you can plant plants. It'll look better too.
Excellent idea!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

I've seen the same done with castle wall bricks

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The tub looks like this:
http://iandopartyrentals.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/plastic_tub_2.194132323.jpg

It's about 18" tall and it holds about 20 gallons if filled to the brim.

Quote:
That is a good idea, but I don't want to have to build anything with wood if I can avoid it. We don't have any tools, so I'd have to borrow from my dad, and, well, I'll spare you the details, but the end result would be that he would take on the project as his own and it would turn into the sturdiest, tightest, most level, most perfectly square, and most expensive dirt-holding box EVER.

Would the styrofoam be enough? What are castle wall bricks?

As an alternative, we have an old porch cover thingy way out in the back corner of our yard, away from any electrical outlets. If the tub could work without water movement or regular feeding, I could probably put it out there and it would have constant shade. Worth a try or bad idea?

Proud member of
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Children Boogie

Actually, some used the exact tub here

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/po...ate-6-4-a.html

the OP doesn't have any insulation but they're not from Alabama either. You guys get up to the 100's in the summer for a long period of time so an insulation of some sort is needed.

Eh, let your dad build the frame. It's only a frame. Or you can do it like lincoln logs. No building involved, just assembly. You can get wood posts chopped up at Home Depot to whatever dimension.

Tags
plastic, pond, swordtail, tub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode