3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike A.
  • 2 Post By ThoHell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
DIY Fully Plant Pond Aquascape!

So, I've been in the planted tank hobby now for years. I always wanted a pond but never had the space for it. Well, I recently bought a house and convinced my wife to allow me to have a pond. I'm taking my love for planted tank aquascape and desire to have a pond to do a fully planted pond aquascape. Check out the my 3 weekends of progress. If you got suggestions on plants, fish, shrimps, or setup, please feel free to share!

This is mainly going to be a shrimp farm but I'm also going to put in some fish:
hillstream loaches
cherry barbs
SAE
ember tetras
siph. gobies
emerald tetras
rummy nose
badis
CPD
Blue Dream Neo
Royal OEBT

Plants will be:
dwarf sag.
hair grass
java fern
fissidin
various crypts and swords

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hard to follow exactly where you're going with it from the videos but one suggestion that I'd make before you get too much farther... Get the liner up higher at the rim of the pond so that it's above ground level. Otherwise, you'll have runoff going into the pond. Usually what I'll do is to lay my worst/scrap rock around the edge on top of the liner and then fold the liner back over that layer. Then finish with better rock however on top of that. That gives you several inches of height as a buffer and lets you raise the height of water in the pond a little higher so that it blends into your rock work better vs sitting down below it.

Also, make an overflow where you want excess water to go in a directed way vs just randomly flooding out where you might not want it.

A bottom drain is a good idea but probably too late for that and may not work with the soil.

Build in a skimmer. Makes a big difference in keeping the surface clear and helps filter out a lot of what falls/blows in.

San Fran likely will be too cool for a lot of tropicals. Also, smaller fish that aren't very brightly colored you'll pretty much never see.

Ponds aren't just bigger aquariums. You need to take a kind of different approach to them.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Pond is finally scaped and running. Time to let is cycle before adding in the fish and shrimps and putting the finishing touches on it! Can't wait too see it fill in.
Blue Ridge Reef and DaveKS like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ThoHell, from the video look to me your wooden walls of the pond is sitting inside of water. Don't you worry that it will rotten over time? If I was you I would have the pond liner inside and over the wooden walls
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very excited to see where this goes!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode