Northern outdoor tropical tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRT View Post
Looking good! I donít know if itís the sunlight, the natural food sources that work their way in to the tanks, or even possibly the lunar cycle, but outdoor tanks like this are fry factories!

Iím sure your live bearers will work overtime in this set up. Itís a great way to breed egg scatterers like tetras/danios too!

Keep us posted!!!
In addition to increased breeding, I've heard that they grow out larger.
It will be interesting (even though my wife says it's ridiculous [I dunno why I married the woman!]) ;-).

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Once the water temperature came up to about 73/74F I turned on the heater. I have it set at 77F to yield a temp of 75-76F. I want to make sure the temp does not go below 75F. Fish would prolly be okay down to 70 (maybe lower) but this is new ground and I don't want to kill fish because of low water temps.
Even with quite cool nights right now, the temp is maintained at 75/76F. So I've begun adding some plants. I added a couple of portions of Java Moss and some floating Water Sprite. I'm confident now that with this heater I'll be able to extend the season in both spring and fall.
(Note: I had previously dosed the water with 4 capfuls of Seachem Flourish Trace, then a day later with 2 capsfuls of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive to give plants some food [no fish/fish food yet])

I have never seen my swordtails jump, but I've heard others say they do. I also feel that some type of cover would be good for temperature control (especially at night) and to reduce evaporation (although I'm thinking I may only cover at night)...I went to Lowes and got a 2' x 8' sheet of clear polycarbonate roof panel and cut in half...

Tank On, Mike-
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
The cover might be good also to keep out things at night like raccoons.
AbbeysDad and AbbeysDad like this.

RAOK Club #55

post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Another snafu! Although on the east side of the garage so it would only get morning sun, the temperature today was in the mid 70's, but with the sun and the cover off, the water temperature in the tank got up to 86F!!!! Glad I don't have any fish in there yet!
Not sure what to do. I rigged a shade, but doubtful it would hold up to rain and not sure if it will work well enough to keep temps appropriate. DANG IT!

Tank On, Mike-

post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Another snafu! Although on the east side of the garage so it would only get morning sun, the temperature today was in the mid 70's, but with the sun and the cover off, the water temperature in the tank got up to 86F!!!! Glad I don't have any fish in there yet!
Not sure what to do. I rigged a shade, but doubtful it would hold up to rain and not sure if it will work well enough to keep temps appropriate. DANG IT!
Would adding more water movement help? Maybe some sort of little waterfall type feature or fountain or two? That's what I'm banking on to help regulate the temps in my own little pond this summer! Cool project, btw!
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think the problem is with the black stock tank absorbing [too much] heat from the sun...at the same time I read the water temp at 86F, the tank was too hot to touch w/o burning.

In any case, I moved the tank around the back to the north side of the garage. My only concern here is that plants my not get the (direct sun) light they need. I'm hopeful this will be a fix for the temp issue...stay tuned and we'll see! I Still have work to do to clean things up, but here's a shot of the rough in:

Note: with many bins and buckets, I was able to save most of the filtered water from the tank.

Tank On, Mike-

post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

I've also heard of people insulating these sorts of stock tank ponds with spray-on foam, and that seems to help, but that might be more of a winter protection-type tactic. I wonder if some sort of rock or brick stacked on the outside of the tank might help deflect the sunlight or protect it? (I honestly have no real idea what I'm talking about, outdoor habitats are new to me, but I think I've read of some people going down that avenue).

Either way, looking forward to seeing it progress
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm really encouraged. The temperature today was about 78F and the tank water temp never rose above 78F. A few short hours of morning/midday sun, then shade. Hoping for enough sun for plants, but shaded enough to keep temps good.

This photo was taken at about 1:15pm (notice the shade):

Tank On, Mike-

post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
I'm really encouraged. The temperature today was about 78F and the tank water temp never rose above 78F. A few short hours of morning/midday sun, then shade. Hoping for enough sun for plants, but shaded enough to keep temps good.

Awseome tank, best of luck to you!
I'm really starting to get interested in livebearers myself. Have you ever heard of select aquatics?

My tanks:

post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

You should be good. Even out of direct sunlight you still get a lot of light outside relative to an aquarium. All of the ponds that I've done after I learned with my first I've intentionally set up in more shady areas. Most all plants grow great and you won't have to battle heat/evaporation, algae, and excessive growth of some plants nearly as much. The only effect that I've seen is that some that require a lot of light don't bloom. Water Iris that I have planted in a bog area never have. My water lillies do even though people say that they need 6+ hours of direct sunlight. They get virtually none. I still have to regularly pull out a lot of things like wisteria and parrotfeather otherwise it would be choked.
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
Awseome tank, best of luck to you!
I'm really starting to get interested in livebearers myself. Have you ever heard of select aquatics?
Thanks!
Re: Select Aquatics - Yes, but to date I haven't ordered any fish online - I tend to look a fish or group of fish (and the tank they're in) over closely before I buy. That's not to say you can't get some great fish online....perhaps better than the average LFS. And I may...I need to get a few soon for genetic stability.

Tank On, Mike-

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 05-19-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: grammar
post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks!
Re: Select Aquatics - Yes, but to date I haven't ordered any fish online - I tend to look a fish or group of fish (and the tank their in) over closely before I buy. That's not to say you can't get some great fish online....perhaps better than the average LFS. And I may...I need to get a few soon for genetic stability.

check out this video if you wanna see his fish - honestly theyre incredible. I've ordered fish online once - it was an ok experience, but this guy seems to be legit. I've even seen a video of a shipment he sent being unpacked, 100% survival rate!

My tanks:

post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
The cover might be good also to keep out things at night like raccoons.
There are all sorts of winged things that like to eat baby fish, like Predacious Water Beetles, Water Boatman, Dragon and Damselfly larvae. So a cover on during the day is a big help.

I witnessed a bunch of Water Beetles fly down from out of the sky and beeline straight to the pond one summer. Also Dragonflies are a given here as they will fly over open water while linked in their mating embrace and lay eggs in even the smallest open water container.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@cbachmann - clearly he's the real deal....just might need to send an email inquiry.

Tank On, Mike-

post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
@cbachmann - clearly he's the real deal....just might need to send an email inquiry.
I'm going to end up setting up a tank just to keep some of his livebearers.... its bad.

My tanks:

Tags
outdoor, stock tank, tub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode