Betta Pond? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta Pond?

I was sitting here thinking about my moms' pond and how it is going to be uninhabited this summer because she is getting rid of the goldfish, due to the fact that she does not have the room/time for a big enough tank to house them during the long winter. The stereotypical pond inhabitants tend to be Goldfish & Koi, though sometimes you'll see frogs or turtles. I was trying to come up with something that would be able to inhabit the pond in the summer, but is small enough to bring inside to the 20 gallon in the winter.

Zebra Danios are definately an option, they're hardy cold-water fish that wouldn't even need a heated pond most of the year. White Cloud Mountain Minnows would probably do great in a non-heated pond.

However, I was thinking more or less of fish with big personality, and I'm thinking about a Betta.
With a heater, do you think a Betta would do well in an outdoor pond?
I think it would be really cool.

Sabrina
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a pair of bettas in my pond last summer, they must have laid eggs every few weeks so they must have been happy, spent most of their time in and around the pot of one of the plants. No babies ever came out of it though, but it is definately possible, keep in mine though in a pond setting, you will only see the fish from the top so unless they have some vibrant colors you will not see them easily
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

See that's what I am talking about! I think it would be so cool for the little Betta.
I wouldn't add a female though, maybe some danios or WCMM,.

Sabrina
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
How about a paradise fish? I think they can handle cooler temperatures. I had tons of babies from my pair I kept in a 20G rope tub.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah that would be cool too.
A Giant Betta would be awesome!

Sabrina
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I kept a dozen gold gouramis, six angel fish, a dozen zebra danios, a dozen white cloud minnows, and many guppies (started with two!) in my pond last summer. The guppies and zebra danios bred like crazy. I brought all the fish in for the winter (spread over 8 fish tanks). They are waiting patiently for spring to come
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So it's not unheard of - that's good to know!

Sabrina
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:37 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have a friend who breeds paradise fish in hos pond every year. They do great for him
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Look on youtube. There are people in warm climates who totally do this (some of them with LOTS of betta in their pond, amazingly). I'd be tempted to do it myself, but they'd have to deal with mastiff drool after my dog got done drinking out of their home, and I can't imagine that dog drool is betta friendly.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing - we have a Pit Bull X Rottweiler.

Sabrina
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Splashy-splashy is no good for fish, LOL The koi HATED it when our dog would get into the pond with them when I was a kid.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hahaha yeah our goldfish didn't seem to appreciate it too much either.

Sabrina
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you check on youtube, there's a guy who did guppies in a small pond (really a water feature) but because they are so colorful, from the top down, they looked REALLY awesome. Once I move to a place with a bigger yard, I'm actually planning on doing something very similar with guppies and a bunch of bright colored shrimp, like RCS.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That would be really cool.

Sabrina
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Algae Grower

I personaly see nothing wrong with a Betta pond set up. I can't imagine It wouldn't work. Bettas are about the hardiest fish I can possibly think of(like my signature says down below). Only thing I would suggest is a small heater during the winter months so the poor thing doesn't freeze to death. And also maybe some cheep netting over the pond so no predators can get an easy meal, preferably neighborhood cat(s) and birds. I'm no expert, but again, I see nothing wrong with a Betta in an outdoor pond. Hope this helps

"If you can single-handedly manage to kill a common pet store Betta fish, then that's when you know you've accomplished something great," said by my Dad as of 4/30/11

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode