My goldfish have Ich or something similar... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
My goldfish have Ich or something similar...

This is a new one for me, I have a 300g+ in ground pond, have had plenty of goldfish in it never seemed to have any issues with the fish, these are just chepo Petsmart 10 for a dollar comets, but most of them are a few years old now and range from 4+" to 8". We have started to have cold weather here so the temps are dropping, but that usually happens with no incident or real apparent effects to the fish, they winter over outside, I have a deicer and everything has works smoothly for years now. Now all the sudden I have lost a few fish in the last day or so, one small one large, plus a few more show what appears to be Ich or a white fungus. What can I do to treat this, I am more familiar with aquarium treatment, but this is a 300 gallon pond, its outside so no real control over the temperatures (probably in the low/mid 60's this time of year) or exact quality of water and I have no place to start pulling out fish that show signs of the fungus to treat them separately. Any suggestions? again these arent $50 a piece Koi, but still I would hate to loose all my fish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Same kind of treatment from aquarium will apply to ponds although it's not practical to raise your pond temp to 83F or use really expensive medicine in a 300G pond.

First thing you need to do is find out exactly what disease they have. White fungus and death within a few days could be columnaris. If it's ich, you'll have to bring the fish in to treat with temperature and salt. The ich will eventually die off in your pond with no fish in it.

The same thing can't be said for columnaris. It's best to tear down the pond, sterilize and start over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

any ideas where either of those would come from? the pond has been up and running for years with no problems, and I have never had anything like this happen to the fish in it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Children Boogie

Did you introduce anything into the pond?

ps. you can buy a cheap kiddie pool to house the fish inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

over a month ago I introduced 6 new fish but they all appeared healthy and I had no issues when first introduced up until this week
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
over a month ago I introduced 6 new fish but they all appeared healthy and I had no issues when first introduced up until this week
Yup, that will do it. You can't always spot disease. That's why quarantine is a good practice.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Golds can handle salt better than many fresh water fish, so salt would be my choice of treatment if this is Ich.
If you can find a kiddie pool, this is a very good idea for treatment. It will allow you to monitor the fish much more closely.

Here are a few treatments for Ich and other parasites.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa041
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A good way to go is just to pick up a kiddie pool, or a large storage bin, add an aerator, medicine (salt, if ich), (and a heater if it's ich to raise the temperature a bit). The key here is to isolate the affected fish in this container away from the main pond. This way you can monitor them without having the other fish at more risk than they are. You know how you're supposed to remove dead fish from the water immediately? Do this with any infected fish too. Dead fish die for a reason, and many times it's from sickness. So remove infected fish so it'll have a harder time spreading to the fish yet in the pond.

Both of these links have symptoms (you need to know what it is in order to get rid of it) treatment and prevention:
Ich info: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/ich.htm

Columnaris: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/di...columnaris.htm

I hope this clears up; good luck!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Whichever way you treat, be sure to gradually re-adapt the fish back to the pond conditions, and winter. They were getting ready for winter, reducing their metabolism and so on.

If you raise the temperature they will speed up their metabolism, and need more food, more oxygen in the water and other things that are normal for spring and summer. This is good, it increases their immune system, to help them fight off whatever it is.
When it is over you will need to drop the temperature slowly enough for them to get used to the idea of fall and winter again. If you bring them into the house, then darken the tank at the same time it is dark outside, so day length is another cue to them that it really is winter. As you drop the temperature reduce their food, too.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a fungus medicine that I used in the pond and a 50 gallon rubber maid container, for about a week or so the temps warmed up and whatever it was seemed to go away or at least it went with the fish that died, no other signs of infected fish. Not sure what it was, but I am glad its gone.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Any updates on this? My neighbour is having the same thing right now and asked me for some help, but I'm not a goldfish and pond person.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Please post more info, pictures of the fish.

Fish in ponds have one problem in Spring that we do not see in aquariums very much.

Over the winter the fish were not metabolizing very much, not producing much ammonia. Also the nitrogen cycle bacteria slowed way down because of the cold.
Now the water is warming and the fish are becoming more active. They are producing more ammonia. However the bacteria that deal with ammonia and nitrite are recovering more slowly. Usually the ones that remove ammonia come up to speed pretty well, so you might see a trace of ammonia, but it does not last long. However, the bacteria that remove nitrite are slower to respond. Nitrite levels can rise in a pond.

Look up information for your friend about Brown Blood Disease. See if this is anything that might be going on. If there is some nitrite in the water then add salt (Sodium chloride) at the rate of 1 teaspoon of salt per 20 gallons of water. This will reduce the amount of nitrite that is crossing the gills. If water changes are feasible then do as many and as large water changes as possible with the goal of keeping the nitrites as low as possible until the bacteria catch up.

If your friend does not have test kits, then use all the kits you have and lets see what is going on in the pond.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode