Need a non-electrical pond heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need a non-electrical pond heater

I have a very small pond that freezes solid in winter and is located too far away from any electrical outlets to accommodate a plug-in unit. I need either a solar-powered or battery-powered pond heater that can withstand sub-freezing winter temperatures, and is easy to install.

Any ideas? Thanks -- Aquamom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't know if they make any. It wouldn't be very effective at night if they did.
It won't be cheap either.

You'll have to bring the fish into your garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Heater is a misnomer in this case. There are solar and wind powered agitators that might work, but if the pond usually freezes solid, nothing - short of a fortune in fuel costs - is going to help it.

If you're trying to over winter fish or plants, bring them in for the season. If you are trying to keep water available for birds, a plug in bird bath heater will be the simplest solution.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Put an arch over the pond, and enclose it in clear plastic, like a greenhouse. Then, if you find any method of adding some heat it will be lost more slowly. Solar gain during the day, even cloudy days can help, but a small volume of water may still freeze.
If it is a masonry pond, then paint it black. The sun, passing through the greenhouse, then hitting the black bottom and sides will warm the water.

Better to shut it down for the winter, and bring the plants and fish into the garage.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have made arrangements to bring the goldies and snails indoors for the winter. It's really the only way I can save them.

Thanks, folks ..

Aquamom
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not sure how brave you are, or how good you might be with electricity, but... the home depot 1-2-3 manual would more than likely have enough information in it to help you run some direct-bury romex (electrical wire that can be buried straight in the ground) from a power source in your home, to someplace near the pond. Then you could put in a post, with an exterior outlet, and plug in a heater. It might sound like a bit much, and rather scary (as a lot of people are afraid of electrical work) but it really is quite simple. And as long as you keep circuit breakers off, follow the steps in the book, and ask your local home depot for their "electrical guy" for a little advice, you can wire it in safely.
I re-wired an entire house with very minimal previous electrical experience. Followed the book, asked for advice, and when all was said and done, I had it checked out by an electrician, and the city inspector to make sure everything was good to go. They both said that it was some of the best work they'd seen.
I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but don't discredit it right away. It might make for a good spring or summer weekend project.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode