Tubbing question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tubbing question

For people that tub their fish for the summer, do you just let the rain fill up your tubs? or is it more of a fill them up whenever the water gets too low kind of thing? Do you feed them, or just let the fish fill up on mosquitoes? Has anybody tried tubbing with shrimp, and if so, how did that work out? I've got some CPD's that I wanna try out in this lovely california weather, but there's no rain...

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 AM
Planted Member

Well I live in Dubai, we rarely have any rain here, but we have summer almost all around the year and high evaporation takes place, and needs 100% of shading at all times to keep the water cool and not sushi your fishes. so I have to actually refill the tub almost every week. Also when refilling the tub I drain a little of water from the remaining water so that I can give them some water changes as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I filled mine with a hose, let the temp adjust a couple days. Worked fine, as my fish were already used to the local tap water. It refills with rain and water from the sprinklers, otherwise hose water works again.

Smaller fish I figure can feed themselves, but a few times a week I do supplementary feed them. Fish always look fat, so I assume they're getting their fill somehow.

Shrimp, somehow ended up with them in the tub a few times. As long as there's hiding spots Neos do fine. Actually seems to bring out really fantastic colors in them, blows away everything else I've ever produced. Culling is pretty much impossible unless you drain the pond though

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
For people that tub their fish for the summer, do you just let the rain fill up your tubs? or is it more of a fill them up whenever the water gets too low kind of thing? Do you feed them, or just let the fish fill up on mosquitoes? Has anybody tried tubbing with shrimp, and if so, how did that work out? I've got some CPD's that I wanna try out in this lovely california weather, but there's no rain...
Few ppl actually get enough rain to not have to refill their tubs... unless you've got a rain barrel and are recovering all the rain off a roof to use.

If you have water circulating mosquitoes don't lay eggs. Mosquitoes seem to like stagnant water. I feed my fish, mainly to habituate them to coming up when I'm around so I can enjoy seeing them (depending on the species).

LR Brets does lots of shrimp in tubs outside. That's how they're farmed in Asia.

For CPDs I'd be more worried about the temperature in CA than rain.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 06-30-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: also
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

No. I just use a hose to fill the tubs. Rain water can be dirty and if you just filled it with rain it would be far too acidic for the fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode