Water Lilies & Lotus seeds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Water Lilies & Lotus seeds

So I got some seeds off Amazon.

The first couple I tried I think I didn't do right, I just tossed em into my declorinated water bucket and waited to see if they'd sprout. After a week, nothing.

Then I looked online on how I was supposed to grow them and found they need to be 'opened' a bit to let the water in. I saw that they can start growing in just a few days.

I filed off the shell just enough that I saw some white inside, and then I put them in some dechlorinated water and put it on a window sill inside the house where it can get some sunshine in the afternoon. It's been 3 days and I still don't see anything.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just give up on these cheap seeds and buy bulbs?

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I myself have been able to get the seeds to sprout easily within a couple days. Actually growing the plants is another matter though.

Bulbs will probably be a safer bet. Last year I used some cheap Petco water lilly bulbs, the dried kind, and they grew fine. Just be a little patient with them
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
I myself have been able to get the seeds to sprout easily within a couple days. Actually growing the plants is another matter though.

Bulbs will probably be a safer bet. Last year I used some cheap Petco water lilly bulbs, the dried kind, and they grew fine. Just be a little patient with them
I got 3 out of like 8 to sprout. Waiting to see if any of the others just need more time.

Tell me more about actually growing them plz!

When I read the tutorials they sound quite easy, but those also say it's easy to sprout seeds at like a 90% success rate... newb reality is so different from tutorials and guides.

Winterizing is gonna suck. Prolly will lose them all lol. Thankfully seeds are cheap.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Honestly, I couldn't get them past the second leaf, they'd diet on me after that. I've got more seeds, so I might try again this year
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:48 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It sounds like you're on the right track. The process that has proven successful for me over the years is to scarify the seed and soak in fresh water as you're doing. It is imperative that the water is changed daily. Bad water quality will enable bacteria and disease to kill your seedlings. Also, the adult plants handle full sun with ease, however you should keep your seedlings indoors on a windowsill or outdoors in the shade. Overheating them can hurt them at this stage. Once the small white roots begin to develop, I place the seedling in a pot ( I use basic topsoil with no added fertilizers with a 1" cap of sand on top to prevent dirtying the water) on top of the soil/sand mixture. Do not bury the seed/crown of the plant. Use a small rock or wood to hold the seed down for a week or two until the roots grow down to anchor the plant. What you do with them now is up to you. Some plant them in ponds and some plant them as standalone display plants in half whiskey barrels. Lotus grow very quickly and you'll have dozens of new tubers to divide and propagate within the first season. They do need a lot of fertilizer once they get out of the 'seedling' stage. Hopefully this has belped!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lilies coming along.

Supposedly the lilies I got are hardy and I'm only in zone 7-8. I'm gonna try and keep them out for the winter.

I didn't quite like red root floaters in my indoor aquariums but they do seem to look great outside.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode