Stock tank de-icer, seems too warm? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By M Allred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stock tank de-icer, seems too warm?

I've got a 300g pond, and live in a climate where the ground is frozen for at least 3 months a year.
I started out with an aquarium heater just to keep an unfrozen spot in the ice but found it wasn't enough.
So bought a floating stock tank de-icer, and while it is working great- I think 10c/50F is probably TOO warm for the winter months (goldfish including some fantails).
Ever since the water temp went up I'm again feeding daily, I skipped a couple days and they shredded a plant that had a few sprouted leaves. Didn't expect that.
I'd prefer they went dormant for winter so I didn't need to hike through a snow drift to feed the fish!

Any suggestions, or should I just lay off the food at these temps? Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

I had a 6500 gallon Koi pond here in NE Nevada for 18 years. Almost 4 feet deep. I dropped a weighted air stone powered by a Whisper aquarium air pump in every winter. It would keep a 2 foot hole in the ice, and give me some circulation/gas exchange. I would see 8 inches of ice at times. In sub zero weather, I would still have a 10 to 12" hole. I kept the pump in a small box with a light bulb inside. I don't know how deep your pond is but this worked very well for me!
Fireweed and Fireweed like this.

Last edited by M Allred; 01-13-2017 at 04:11 AM. Reason: duplicate text
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for that.
I should consider something like that. Unsure if fantails can handle the cold but easy enough to research. Will do!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode