Algae in 2 tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Algae in 2 tanks

So my 75 has developed this algae on the plants and pretty much everything else in the tank

I'm running 100 watts of light using led floodlights for 8 hours a day and running co2 but still getting the co2 perfected, drop checker is just starting to turn green. I just got the EI fertilizers from Nilocg and started dosing the micros and macros 2 days ago but the algae was there before I started the ferts. I think it's been slowly building up the last 2 weeks

The second tank is a 29h.

This one has two 36" t5 bulbs. One 3100k 21w and 1 12000k 39who running 8 hours. No co2 and it is just about done cycling.

Bump: Also does it make any difference to have lights on for a few hours then off for a while then back on? I've seen some people running lights like this. Whats the reason for that?

75g planted, 100 watts light, co2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Two T5 bulbs on an 18" tall tank is too much for a non injected tank. Don't know if the
injected is enough to off set that.
Algae can't store energy like regular plants. The split photo period work against the algae. But 4 hrs of dark works better than less hrs of dark. But make it 3.5 then off for at least 4 and then 3.5 for a total of 7. This will help a little/w the two T5 bulbs part.
Don't know how much PAR you have with the flood lights but Anubias will get GSA on their very slow growing leaves if not put in shade if the light is just a bit to high.
Also have read a few threads which claim they had GSA but when they raised the KH2PO4 dose level it went away. If you are doing EI dosing it may be easy to do 1.5 times regular the amount of it in there.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also forgot that I have a 10g with some hair algae and a reoccurring green water issue. No co2 and I had one 19w bulb but switched too a dual 24" t5 fixture with it belive 14w 6500k bulbs. Also running 8 hours of light.

Bump: Would running the one t5ho 12000k help. I can take out the second bulb

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
T5HO is too much to run two bulbs in a 10g tank. I had it in mine and it was covered
with Clado till I took out one bulb. If it's an Aqueon/w regular T5 it's still too much for a 10g tank with two bulbs. I also have another 10g/w two T8's it too much to run both for 8-9 hrs so I only use 4 hrs on one bulb/w a separate timer for that bulb. Two strip
light fixtures.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The 10g has 2 t5 regular bulbs. I had one 19 t5 on there but the way the fixture was it didn't seem to light the tank front to back. That's why I put the dual lamp fixture. It's a grow light setup from home Depot with the outlet in the middle.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode