Combatting Green Dust Algae on plants, sand, DW and glass? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By essabee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Combatting Green Dust Algae on plants, sand, DW and glass?

What is the consensus on the best way to kill this $#!+? I have nerites and ottos doing about nothing to combat it. Tired of a green tank.

Do I kill the lights for a few days?
Up the CO2? Change my nutrient dosing (EI from GLA ferts)?

Scrape or no? H2O2?

I'm already OD'ing excel, and it is melting my anubis }=/

Suggestions? A cure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Buy, beg, or borrow a UV sterilizer, if you don't have one, and run it 24/7 for about a week.
Once or twice each day, brush down the green dust algae off the glass, plants, and wherever it sits, to get it moving up & through the water column, to allow the UV to pick it up & destroy it.
Can't guarantee it will entirely get rid of it, but it sure worked for me.

GDA is caused by some imbalance in the tank, unknown to me, and it may return if you do eradicate it, but it didn't in my case, and has not returned since.
Best of luck to you.

P.S. I tried a number of things first, including not disturbing it for 3 weeks, as is given as a common remedy, but nothing worked, till I used the UV.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You need to put your hands in the tank and clean, clean , clean. Every day until it is gone! Take the anubias out of the tank and clean it with a soft toothbrush. Make sure the si doing is correct. I always find this to be an algae that fades away in the long run.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

50% WC followed by 72 hours of darkness; cover the tank with thick blankets - no CO2, no fertilisers, no food, no peeping.

Uncover after 72 hours and do 50% water change - dose macro with 10% more P than before, lights on, CO2 boosted to max fish tolerance, follow other routines unchanged.
Powerclown and Powerclown like this.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Stop dosing micros; dose only as necessary.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Algae Grower

I had the same problem but with brown. It was covering my plants and killing them. I physically removed the larger stem plants from the tank like the swords java fern and wiped them under running water. I brought in some midsize bristlenose plecos and they cleaned the plant leaves awesome. Then, you have to go dark. If you have a window that is even remotely close to your tank, cover it. You have to get rid of sunlight if its an issue. Otherwise, leave the lights off (i turned on for feeding etc) for 72 hours or so. You will see it clear up quick. Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a bad algae bloom in a tank after putting some vacation food in the tank for about 10 days. I'm talking about when the water turns into pea soup. I don't know if this is the same thing you are talking about but a uv sterilizer cleaned it out in a about a week if I remember right. It's been a few years back.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Daily cleaning followed by a diatomaceous earth filter for week took care of it for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode