Kill your stubborn BBA - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 173 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I don't think it is any one thing alone that is the major cause of BBA outbreaks, but a combination of things, including unstable CO2 and water loaded with organic compounds from the fish. It is clear that unstable or too low CO2 vs the light intensity will almost always lead to BBA, but it isn't clear to me that CO2 is the only cause. It is also obvious that unhealthy plants attract BBA, so having a tank filled with healthy plants is a good barrier to BBA. Hardstuff, your experience with two tanks having roughly the same light intensity made it look like organics could be a major contributor, but that is probably just another illusion.
I'm not about to present a hypothesis either, Hoppy. But I'll tell you unequivocally that once I stopped dosing any PO4 my stubborn, pervasive BBA reduced itself to nothing. I was amazed. It's still gone and I'm still avoiding dosing, despite what the consensus may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 173 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Old thread but my battle with BBA has lead me here:

For what it is worth, here in Illinois, we recently outlawed Phosphates in lawn fertilizers. It runs off into bodies of water causing Algea and Toxic algae blooms.

Here is a nice article:
http://turfgator.com/phosphorus-ban-in-fertilizers/
post #168 of 173 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
I've tried everything I could find to kill bba. changed lights and photo period, added more or less co2, h2o2, excel, you name it. my 125g was trashed with bba, this fixed it in less than two weeks at double the amount per instructions, with no effect on plants.

Seachem - PhosGuard

your welcome
Lol, I was just going to suggest that. Phosguard also absorbs silicates which will kill diatoms.

post #169 of 173 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severum Snape View Post
Old thread but my battle with BBA has lead me here:

For what it is worth, here in Illinois, we recently outlawed Phosphates in lawn fertilizers. It runs off into bodies of water causing Algea and Toxic algae blooms.

Here is a nice article:
Illinois Phosphorus Ban in Fertilizers for Lawns | TurfGator
So your saying there's no P in fertilizer in IL?
post #170 of 173 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

I tried this. Didn't work. I used enough for 50 gallons in my 29 and stopped ferts. No difference at all. Currently trying the one two punch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #171 of 173 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

came to this thread, saw it was 12 pages and got depressed.
Then I became amused after seeing Tom Barr hammer on someone for what he deemed a silly question.

I have BBA, its a slow creeper.
I have a feeling part of it is because of my sickly Anubia Barteri is acting like a disease vector. I just don't feel like parting with this plant - it is recovering now, but its edges and leaf stems are coated in the stuff.

Is it due to bad CO2 management? yes, in my tank its likely. It wasn't until I started monkeying around with injected CO2 that I got this BBA stuff really growing.
Monkeying around with it further stresses me out- I gassed my fish a month or two back and lost maybe half of them. I would rather not do it again.

The truth here is that my fish tank looks better than it has (with the BBA) than it has in a long while.

I probably should tear out that barteri, its too high light there for that plant anyways.
post #172 of 173 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@benstatic,

If you have an extra tank, here's a trick I did that I learned from one of Tom's stories.. not sure if it was this one and don't feel like verifying. I took my BBA infested anubias and java fern windelov ( you definitely can't scrub those leaves! ) and just unceremoniously dumped it into a low tech, low light, no co2, barely dosed tank. I don't even recall planting it. Neither of them cares too much if they're not rooted. Like you, I was ready to throw it out, but figured what do I have to lose. Ignored it for months (Tom's story was that he left his plant in an ignored tank in the garage) and just like that, when I cared to check up on it, the BBA faded away. Prior to this, in my main tank, I had peroxided it repeatedly, watched in glee as the BBA turned red, and cursed in frustration as I broke out the peroxide again as it cycled through to a new generation.

Does this help your main tank? I dunno. I can speculate about it and I probably have before, but I'm sure you're aware of the generalities and seem a little burnt out so you need a break. If this works, maybe it'll give you a small taste of success, and give you the confidence to fight it again. If nothing else, it'll give you an excuse not to throw your plant out or an excuse to start another tank!

Be warned though, don't just throw it in a bucket of water. These things sort of melt if there's no water movement. In a different situation, I unintentionally melted a ton of java fern that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #173 of 173 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to allexx46 Send a message via Yahoo to allexx46
165 show tank

Adding to my own thread. I am not new to fish but am new to plants. My 165 gal tank is full of big fish with tremendous bio load. I have a great sump that gets rid of all the nitrates. Before I planted the tank It needed a water change once a month and a gravel scrub once every 3 months. I run an Apex so I guess I have a hybrid tank because I am not using CO2 but have have all the other technology. I got by with few water changes because I controlled pH with Sea Chem pH 7 buffer and coral. Sea Chem pH 7 buffer has phosphates in it. After my first dose with 25% of recommended dose of ThriveC I Instantly I have BBA on a plant that has been clean for 2 months. But for the fist time I see growth in other plants that were just sitting there. I am looking at CO2 which I can control with my Apex and pH.

Here is my first question: How can I control CO2 with pH when I have buffers and coral maintaining the pH?

Second Question: If I chose to not use CO2 it seems I am left with dosing Excel to control the algae. Is this the case?

If answers are on other Threads please help me find them. Most threads including this one are on tanks set up as planted tanks where they carefully add fish. Mine is a tank set up as a community tank using large South American fish that do not eat plants. I am carefully adding plants....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190225_010139305_iOS.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	878295  

Last edited by allexx46; 03-01-2019 at 04:08 AM. Reason: replied to old thread. copy text to new thread

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode