The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment - Page 35 - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #511 of 512 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
OK, just tried this for the first time on my 125L Juwel which was plagued with BBA (I'd had all other algae I think before this but got them under control). I had taken some plants out and dipped them for 5 minutes in a dish of 3% H2O2 which worked great without killing any plants but it's started to come back on my Bacopa.

I did do a silly thing initially as I had 2 bottles of H2O2 and had been using just 1, putting it back in the bottle and reusing but I thought I'd probably used that one up?

So I did:

1. took out half a bucket of tank water and put all of the filter medium in it.
2. took off the output nozzle on the 600 Juwel filter pump, I also have a Koralia Nano 1600 in there normally. (all plants swaying)
3. added 70mL of bottle 1 of H2O2 (used up maybe), waited 15 minutes
4. belatedly had a thought that the first bottle was useless so added 70mL of new bottle 2 of H2O2 and waited 15 minutes
5. did a quick 60% water change using API Safe Start+
6. put the filter medium back
7. added 3mL of TNC Carbon

My fish list is GBR, Platy's, Krib, BN Pleco, Adolfi Cory's, Neon Tetra's, Oto's, a couple of Ghost Shrimp and a couple of Nerite's (1 of which headed for out of the water when I added the H2O2)

My plant list is Amazon Sword, Cryptocoryne Balansae, Java Ferns, Java Moss, Bacopa, Bucephalandra sp. 'Red'

Now it's a case of wait and see.

Edit: Arrgghh... just found out that a USA tbsp is less than an imperial tbsp (why???), 4 US tbsp is approx. 60mL and I used 4 UK tbsp's or 70mL.

Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 04-10-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 512 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just checked my levels after 24 hours and they're spot on at 0, 0, 5 so I've not killed anything and as far as I can see everything's still kicking. I've seen the big Ghost Shrimp at least and 3 of the 4 Oto's (very secretive in my tank). That said I can't see any difference in the algae yet, dipping them directly obviously gave instant results so perhaps I'm being a little impatient.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode