The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment - Page 35 - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #511 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
OK, just tried this for the first time on my 125L Juwel which was plagued with BBA (I'd had all other algae I think before this but got them under control). I had taken some plants out and dipped them for 5 minutes in a dish of 3% H2O2 which worked great without killing any plants but it's started to come back on my Bacopa.

I did do a silly thing initially as I had 2 bottles of H2O2 and had been using just 1, putting it back in the bottle and reusing but I thought I'd probably used that one up?

So I did:

1. took out half a bucket of tank water and put all of the filter medium in it.
2. took off the output nozzle on the 600 Juwel filter pump, I also have a Koralia Nano 1600 in there normally. (all plants swaying)
3. added 70mL of bottle 1 of H2O2 (used up maybe), waited 15 minutes
4. belatedly had a thought that the first bottle was useless so added 70mL of new bottle 2 of H2O2 and waited 15 minutes
5. did a quick 60% water change using API Safe Start+
6. put the filter medium back
7. added 3mL of TNC Carbon

My fish list is GBR, Platy's, Krib, BN Pleco, Adolfi Cory's, Neon Tetra's, Oto's, a couple of Ghost Shrimp and a couple of Nerite's (1 of which headed for out of the water when I added the H2O2)

My plant list is Amazon Sword, Cryptocoryne Balansae, Java Ferns, Java Moss, Bacopa, Bucephalandra sp. 'Red'

Now it's a case of wait and see.

Edit: Arrgghh... just found out that a USA tbsp is less than an imperial tbsp (why???), 4 US tbsp is approx. 60mL and I used 4 UK tbsp's or 70mL.

Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 04-10-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM
Algae Grower

Just checked my levels after 24 hours and they're spot on at 0, 0, 5 so I've not killed anything and as far as I can see everything's still kicking. I've seen the big Ghost Shrimp at least and 3 of the 4 Oto's (very secretive in my tank). That said I can't see any difference in the algae yet, dipping them directly obviously gave instant results so perhaps I'm being a little impatient.
post #513 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:23 PM

My attempt

Hello,

Tried this method after a long battle with Staghorn algae in my 320L ( ~80G )
Didn't payed too much attention to the red text , maybe i should have... so used the 4tbsp dose/10G.
Tank heavily planted ( Cuba , hygro , etc. )
Pop : 19 serpae tetra , 2 maronii , 5 young angelfish, 2 otos , 1 gastromyzon , 2 sidthimunki

Did as follows :

stopped filter , removed some water and put the media in that bucket
restarted filter ( 2000L/h) and added the H2O2 ( 350ml as tbsp in EU smaller than US lol )
used my full filters evacs to flush all over the aquarium
did a few spot treatments on my Cuba as it was really infested ( used a seringue )
after 30 mins started a 50% water change ( used some osmo water as i needed to lower the PH )
then put back the filter media and restarted the filter

After 45 mins : no problems
After 2h : 1 serpae tetra dead ( i noticed the poor fellow swallowed an oxygen bubble earlier and was a bit erratic )
After 4h : no further problems , my Cuba is still bubbling here and there. A few snails died ( 2 Planorbes and 2 Melanoid , possibly because of the spot treatment )

I hope no further casualties in the hours / days to follow , will keep you posted. For now all fish look normal. Only 1 sidhimunki did not show up until now ( might be normal , his species can hide for 3-4 days or more ) , the 2 otos are ok , same for the gastromyzon that i feared most it could die.

post #514 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Exclamation Episode 2

Ok, back with more details.

After 2 days :

1 gastromyzon unfortunately dead making 2 fish dead for now in total ( 1 callistus and 1 gastromyzon )
1 maronii suffering from dropsy, i hope he survives , under treatment with antibiotics.
More snails passed out , so that makes roughly 7-8 snails dead in total

Rest of fish , including the 2 otos are fine for now.

Recurrent NO2 issues despite the fact my filter media was out during the treatment , and that i have a HUGE filter volume filled with best media ( Neo Pro ) , so i had to do 30-40% water replacement / day in order to keep NO2 under 0.1

Now for the good news , finally my staghorn infestation is dead.

For all , i honestly advise you take out all your living stock out of the tank before applying this treatment.
post #515 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Ok, back with more details.

After 2 days :

1 gastromyzon unfortunately dead making 2 fish dead for now in total ( 1 callistus and 1 gastromyzon )
1 maronii suffering from dropsy, i hope he survives , under treatment with antibiotics.
More snails passed out , so that makes roughly 7-8 snails dead in total

Rest of fish , including the 2 otos are fine for now.

Recurrent NO2 issues despite the fact my filter media was out during the treatment , and that i have a HUGE filter volume filled with best media ( Neo Pro ) , so i had to do 30-40% water replacement / day in order to keep NO2 under 0.1

Now for the good news , finally my staghorn infestation is dead.

For all , i honestly advise you take out all your living stock out of the tank before applying this treatment.

Sorry for your losses... Your H2O2 dose should have been 250 mL or less. Tank volume about 85 US gallons, minus hardscape so you are more likely closer to 75 gallons. Divide by 10= 7.5 x 30 mL= 225 mL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #516 of 523 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:04 AM

Yep

As previously said , it's my bad , as scrolling down to understand the method i somehow did not take into account the lines in red at the top and did the 4 tbsp instead of 2.

That being said , even with 2 tbsp snails and all scaleless fish would be harmed.

My maronii died last night , not sure how to link his dropy to the event , but it appeared right after the H2O2.
post #517 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 AM
Algae Grower

BBA looks like it's creeping back for me, I did change my routine as you have to address the source of the problem as well as this one-two knock out routine. I'd made a noob mistake as I was using the dry salt method but didn't realise that the doses were for an injected CO2 system and was using 20ml a day, I've reduced this to 5ml with 3ml of TNC carbon per day which has (obviously) helped a great deal. However I've got small fringes of BBA on my Amazon Sword and the Cryptocoryne come back.

So round 2:-

1. took out a bucket of tank water and put all of the filter medium in it and topped back up.
2. took off the output nozzle on the 600 Juwel filter pump, I also have a Koralia Nano 1600 in there normally. (all plants swaying)
3. added 130mL of H2O2 (all I had left ), waited 20 minutes
4. did a 50% water change using API Safe Start+
6. put the filter medium back
7. added 4mL of TNC Carbon (double recommended dose)

My fish list is GBR, Platy's, Krib, BN Pleco, Adolfi Cory's, Neon Tetra's, Oto's, a couple of Ghost Shrimp and a couple of Nerite's.

My plant list is Amazon Sword, Cryptocoryne Balansae, Java Ferns, Java Moss, Bacopa, Bucephalandra sp. 'Red'

Now it's a case of wait and see (again).

For the mathematically challenged in Europe and using litres, for the new lower limit (2 US tbsp. per 10 US Gallon) just multiply your displaced water quantity in litres (not the tank size) by 0.8 which will give you the correct amount in ml, for the original suggestion (4 US tbsp. per 10 US Gallon) use 1.6

So for @TwilightZones example further up it would be 280 (litres of water approx) x 0.8 = 225ml of H2O2 (or 450ml at the original dosage levels)

So my 130ml I've used is towards the high end but still within parameters (1.3).

Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 05-25-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot...
post #518 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Algae Grower

Good news on mine as there's been no downside re. losses and the BBA fringing the edges of some Amazon Sword leaves turned red around 3 or 4 days after treatment. I've been dosing 3ml of TNC Carbon daily since which presumably helped but it's looking good so far. I've ordered some more H2O2 as I'm confident now that it works and if needed I can get an early start on knocking it back.

Cheers @DarkCobra
post #519 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:37 AM
Planted Member

I inadvertently performed thid by dosing BBA directlky with a lot of peroxide two days in a row. It utterly wiped out the BBA (took a few weeks for it to turn red and then white, and then able to rub off), but it did kill a few shrimp and all of my snails in time (they slowly died over two weeks).

The problem is that it also killed weaker plants like java moss and some smaller stem plants. In this time I either had a potassium decifiency or the perxodie made it look like one, and I lost a lot of them. They'd grow... but like 10x slower than normal. This means that BBA had a chance to slowly creep back because plants weren't using nutrients as well. I've had to replant my stem plants and am hoping the BBA doesn't get too bad until my new plants can regrow.
post #520 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:53 AM
Algae Grower

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
I inadvertently performed thid by dosing BBA directlky with a lot of peroxide two days in a row. It utterly wiped out the BBA (took a few weeks for it to turn red and then white, and then able to rub off), but it did kill a few shrimp and all of my snails in time (they slowly died over two weeks).

The problem is that it also killed weaker plants like java moss and some smaller stem plants. In this time I either had a potassium decifiency or the perxodie made it look like one, and I lost a lot of them. They'd grow... but like 10x slower than normal. This means that BBA had a chance to slowly creep back because plants weren't using nutrients as well. I've had to replant my stem plants and am hoping the BBA doesn't get too bad until my new plants can regrow.
Yikes, that's definitely not the way to go about it.

How much H2O2 did you use and how big is your tank? Did you remove your biomedia beforehand and do a 50% water change after 15 minutes or so?
post #521 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_Maybe View Post
Yikes, that's definitely not the way to go about it.

How much H2O2 did you use and how big is your tank? Did you remove your biomedia beforehand and do a 50% water change after 15 minutes or so?

Had to be around 8-10 doses of 5ml on each day in a 22 gallon. I did water change after each time and it worked wonders on the bba, but I'm sure if I followed this method there is a balance of algae killing without the plants or shrimp die off. I didn't remove media and I don't remember that being a problem judging by nitrate and ammonia only.

The bba had a chance to come back but it was stunted greatly until I did a major trim of the stunted plants and added new plants. Now the bba is growing back and I'm stuck dosing peroxide on it until the baby plants can catch back up.

The stunted plants were kind of amazing to see. Growth was 10x slower ever after a trim near the base of them. I gave them a solid month and a half but these stem plants never quite recovered hence the replant.
post #522 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:25 AM
Planted Member

If you take the livestock out to do this method, how long do you wait after dosing Excel to put them back in?

get out of my house
post #523 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_Maybe View Post
Good news on mine as there's been no downside re. losses and the BBA fringing the edges of some Amazon Sword leaves turned red around 3 or 4 days after treatment. I've been dosing 3ml of TNC Carbon daily since which presumably helped but it's looking good so far. I've ordered some more H2O2 as I'm confident now that it works and if needed I can get an early start on knocking it back.

Cheers @DarkCobra
Not so good news I'm afraid.

The BBA came back (on everything it seemed) so I tried again (overly) emboldened by my previous attempts. I used a full bottle (200ml) in my 125L which is at the original full dose but ignored the displaced water rule, I also left it for a bit longer (20 minutes or so). This was enough to kill both of my Nerite snails and 1 of my Oto's. My 12 month old BN Plec is still struggling too being off his courgette and cucumber both (he's a guts normally), strangely the GBR and the Ghost shrimp seem unaffected.

It's not something I'd recommend myself anymore and would only treat the tank fishless. My fault entirely as I'm not attaching any blame to the OP.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode