2Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Christmas Moss and Hair Algae

Is it normal for Hair Algae to grow in moss? I have tried Peroxide treatment 4 times followed by Excel and continued daily treatment with Excel but no luck. No where else in the tank so should I be concerned and if so what do you recommend?Click image for larger version

Name:	05A736C8-0E8A-4CEC-B940-76C5BAE73A48_1609977186002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	906643
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D89BD691-B6BB-4DCB-8376-76C12B2BB7C0_1609977197388.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	906645  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Its incredibly hard to get algae out of moss once it establishes itself. Amano shrimp are helpful here if you don't have any. Daily treatments of excel for at least 1 to 2 months (yes months) may get you where you want to be. But honestly I actually just avoid moss these days because of this issue. Looking at why you have algae (excess nutrients, light etc) will also be beneficial.
Asteroid likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What are the Excel dosage would you consider? I am working with a 15 gal tank. Dosing 7.5 ml after weekly water changes and the 2.5 ml daily. Would it help to turn out the lights for 2-3 days? I have a few Armano but will add more if it will help.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Personally I have found that I have only manage to burn Christmas moss with Excel rather than actually being able to successfully get rid of the algae. Hydrogen peroxide I have found helps at the dose recommended in the video on Mark's Shrimp Tanks Youtube channel (from memory 1.5ml per 4.5 liters, but please check). I have done this H2O2 treatment for 3 or 4 days in a row on occasions with no ill effects on fish, plants (moss) or shrimp, but with noticeable effect on hair algae within the moss. Just make sure to temporarily stop flow through the biofilter, but so direct water flow onto the affected area using a powerhead or the like. Most [email protected] guides mention turning off the filter to protect the bacteria, but few mention that water + h202 flow over the target area is really important. There is a h202 guide somewhere on here that describes this in details and it does make a world of difference compared to a h202 treatment without flow!

Otherwise, a toothbrush for manual removal of hair algae works well. Get some strands caught in the bristles then twirl the toothbrush like winding spaghetti onto a fork. You will inevitably pull off some moss too, but that's probably no bag thing as it will be the bits most entangled with the algae anyway.
ytro likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 08:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

I find that I have algae in my moss, but at this point I'm not super bothered. I fed 4 amano shrimp the moss over a period of months, and while it's now more moss than hair algae, I don't care as much.

Algae is inevitable, and in the case of hair algae in moss, I'm of the thinking to just manage the hair algae in the moss and keep it from spreading via water changes. Then again...I'm more of an ichthyogeek than a botanerd (botany nerd) :P. So I don't do plants that much....

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does it help to spot dose the algae with H2O2 or hurt it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
... Looking at why you have algae (excess nutrients, light etc) will also be beneficial.
This is the best way to treat. There's no reason you can't have algae-free moss if the light, organic load is correct. It's really pointless to treat with chemicals and not change anything else. I would cut the moss way back and get your tank "cleaner" and use your lighting more effectively.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and opinions! This is my first year so it will take me time to gain the knowledge that you all provide.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode