1Likes
  • 1 Post By vanostav61

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please help green water??

Hi everyone,
So for a while now my tank has been this gross green colour and i have no clue what it is or how to get rid of it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
p.s the glass is also going cloudy
Tank Details:
i have tried doing 50% water changes every other week, as well as 25% changes every week and also cleaning the filter every week (because it gets reallllllly dirty)
Size: 40L (10.6 Gallons)
pH: approximately 7
Other parameters unknown as i cannot afford a test kit
Filter is an Aqua One Nanoflow
Tank Friends: 2 mystery snails, bunch of red cherry shrimp, 2 x glass bloodfin tetra, 4 x neon tetras
2 air pumps are going because i also had troubles with oxygen but this has helped.
Thank you so much, I've had this tank for about 4 years and this has never happened before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8879.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	905789  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

Really the only way to clear green water is a UV sterilizer. Let in run and in about a week or less, all gone.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Diatom filters will also work. They can clear a tank in an hour or two.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

How do you do your water changes? What kind of water do you use? How you declorinate the water?
Aquascaper1 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

As a suggestion, going forward I really suggest if you are involved with a planted aquarium with shrimp (especially shrimp) among other fish to budget for a basic test kit that can at least measure pH, Ammonia, and Nitrate level. In time as funds become available, later consider KH/GH, Copper and Phosphate test kits too. Shrimp can be quite sensitive to drastic water chemistry changes. I have a low-tech planted 30 gal tank and have never had the need to perform more than a 18% partial water change once per week and earlier if I overfed during the week, may have done a 2nd 10-12% partial water change mid week. I measure pH daily and KH, GH, Ammonia and Nitrate levels twice per week.

My experiences do not justify performing large % water changes at one time (which I do see several people mention on posts) which one should consider may negatively impact the established bio film that coat fish scales and can keep them healthier. If one finds the Ammonia and Nitrate levels are high, this can mean the fish and shrimp may be getting overfed in addition for the need to do more frequent partial water changes of lesser % each time. This helps remove Ammonia and Nitrate levels but helps maintain the biological ecosystem.

Just fyi for consideration.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode