Starting to find Staghorn algae... what should I change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting to find Staghorn algae... what should I change?

My tank is about 72 gallons thats heavily planted and lightly stocked. Controsoil substrate, CO2 injected, fertz dosed daily. Tank is probably about 10 weeks old. This is the first Algae problem I have ran into so far

Lights are from fluval Planted 3.0, ramps up 3 hours, On 90% power for 4, ramps down for 3.

CO2 i measure with a drop checker. And about 6-8 bbs. I think the canister is running low as its its measuring at about 750 psi... only have a single stage reactor.

Fertz, 6 ml a day of NilocG thrive plus. It was dosed at 2 ml per day about 2-3 weeks ago and I noticed a lot of potassium problems in my Hygros. Problem with the hygro seems to be better Perhaps i am overdosing? Also dose about 8 ml of excel to help prevent algae... doesn’t seem to be doing much. I started this about maybe 3 weeks ago, maybe the excel is the cause?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5584.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	905153
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5578.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	905155

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 01:06 AM
Planted Member

If your light was consistent, then getting consistent levels of co2 is important to attack Staghorn algae at root cause. Spot dosing with h2o2 and dosing excel with twice a week 50% water changes have helped me in getting better of the algae outbreak.

If the algae build up is isolated go for the h2o2 spot dosing.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
If your light was consistent, then getting consistent levels of co2 is important to attack Staghorn algae at root cause. Spot dosing with h2o2 and dosing excel with twice a week 50% water changes have helped me in getting better of the algae outbreak.

If the algae build up is isolated go for the h2o2 spot dosing.

I will try that. Before going to H2O2, i will try to spot treat with Excel first. I dont have alot of Algae right now so hopefully i can keep it at bay.

I will have to go out and get another canister pf CO2 soon. I am thinking this maybe the cause since its running out

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode