3Likes
  • 2 Post By variable
  • 1 Post By variable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Y'all. My pagoda snail eats BBA.

This tank has been running since 2012, with black brush algae nearly its whole life. I went through a period of neglecting my tanks, and the bba went into remission with dimmed lights and low nutrients (one lonely nerite).

Recently I got more motivated to care for my tanks, upped the lights, and bought some shrimp and pagoda snails. The bba came back with the lights, as expected. The snails have been going after the algae on the glass and crypt parva for about 3 weeks. Then yesterday I saw one with his nose in the bba. I thought he was looking for bits of food in it, like the shrimp do. Then I saw the clump of algae looked a bit trimmed. Thatís the first photo, the second is the next day. He ate it!

Tonight I caught him at it and had to share - third pic is him chowing down, fourth is when he moved on, and fifth is the bare nubs of bba left in his wake. (Sorry, don't post a lot of photos, so I don't know how to mix them in with text like captions)

This is a game changer for me. I have bba on the hardscape in all my tanks - they are all low light, so it stays in balance with my plants, but it would be awesome if these snails could help reduce it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bba1resize.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	904527  

Name:	bba2resize.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	904529  

Name:	pagoda1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	904531  

Name:	pagoda2.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	904533  

Name:	pagodaresize.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	904535  

blissskr and varanidguy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Those are awesome looking snails! And you're right, that's possibly a great game changer!

Where'd you get them? I can only find them in stock at Aquatic Arts and paying $30 shipping for snails is a hard thing to do...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got them at my lfs, Austin AquaDome. I saw the ones at Aquatic Arts too, but like you say, shipping is painful if that's all you're buying.
varanidguy likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 06:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
I got them at my lfs, Austin AquaDome. I saw the ones at Aquatic Arts too, but like you say, shipping is painful if that's all you're buying.
Have you had any issues with them eating plants? Aquatic Arts site says they might munch on finer leaves.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, they spent the first 3 weeks cleaning algae off my crypt parva and the tank glass. No damage to the plants, or to the Christmas moss and subwassertang.

My husband was horrified that they were eating "that black stuff" (he's fond of the snails), and asked if I was feeding them - which I wasn't. I added some algae crumbles and flake to the tank, and haven't seen them eating the bba since. So I suspect the bba grazing is a last resort when food gets limited - but even under those conditions, they didn't eat the plants.

Note, the only plants in the tank are anubias, crypt parva, and the mosses, so fairly tough, no thin leaved stems or delicate plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode