4Likes
  • 2 Post By Econde
  • 2 Post By Econde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Hair/Beard Algae Help

2 years running a 46 Gal Bowfront w/Fluval Plant 3.0 (7 months w/Fluval light -- previously had a Current 36 inch). Eheim 250 canister and Marineland Penguin 330. CO2 on timer one hour before lights go on to one hour before lights go off. Water params are perfect. Stopped dosing tank except for once a month with Excel and Flourish. Feed once a week a small amount.

Tried using NA Thrive about a year ago and this algae appeared and can't seem to shake it now.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if I can provide any other details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8836.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	904345  

Name:	IMG_8835.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	904353  

Name:	IMG_8834.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	904355  

Name:	IMG_8833.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	904357  

Last edited by ClemsonTigerJB3; 10-19-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:35 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTigerJB3 View Post

2 years running a 46 Gal Bowfront w/Fluval Plant 3.0 (7 months w/Fluval light -- previously had a Current 36 inch). Eheim 250 canister and Marineland Penguin 330. CO2 on timer one hour before lights go on to one hour before lights go off. Water params are perfect. Stopped dosing tank except for once a month with Excel and Flourish. Feed once a week a small amount.

Tried using NA Thrive about a year ago and this algae appeared and can't seem to shake it now.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if I can provide any other details.
Pictures didn't load

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
So when did the algae problem start? Soon after the light change? After not dosing? I feel like your lighting is too high for dosing once per month. I'm probably wrong.

Edit: just re read your post. So about a year ago. In my opinion you're not dosing enough fertilizers and the algae is outcompeting your plants due to high light.
mooner and victorusaconte like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Started while using the Current light and dosing with Thrive

Bump: Wow... I kind of backed off because the explosion of Algae happened with Ferts with the old light, but you think it might be the reverse problem now?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Some of your plants look like they're melting. Probably need to up your maintenance. More frequent water changes. Remove what algae you can manually, trim the dead dying leaves, initiate a more routine fertilizing regime. 3-5 times a week vs the 1/month. Vacuum like mad

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Planted Member

Is it like these?
This thing appeared on some of my upper part plants.
They are dissapearing after reduce light and dosages.

Edit: pictures from the poster are good now

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 05:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTigerJB3 View Post
Started while using the Current light and dosing with Thrive

Bump: Wow... I kind of backed off because the explosion of Algae happened with Ferts with the old light, but you think it might be the reverse problem now?
Yes and no. Just 1 part of multiple parts with our tanks. I've had the same problem as you.

Things were doing well, all of a sudden hair algae here and there. I was constantly removing hair algae with a skewer or with some tweezers and was dosing Metricide (glutaraldehyde). Everything was held somewhat at bay but algae was still increasing. Started to up my water changes and vacuuming up mulm that was on top of my substrate. Realized I was just fertilizing like mad still. Started to read threads and journals here on the forum. Realized the amount of fertilizer I was putting in would accumulate over time. Thus leading to more problems.

So the things I did was:

Dialed my lights back( I have the same light as you) down to 75% max.
Dialed in my CO2 ~30PPM
Dialed in my ferts
Stopped using Metricide started to use H2o2
Twice weekly (minimum 50%) water change with aged water.
Reduced fish feedings to every other day sometimes just twice a week(heavier feeding)

So you must think, wow that's the answer? Nope I still had hair algae. I continued this for weeks. And it gradually got better. Then I pulled out some plants and I started to get staghorn algae. . But I kept at it. It's probably been a month(at least a good several weeks). Staghorn is starting to dwindle, and so is the green algae that covers my rocks.

Point being, stick to a plan and follow through. It won't change over night. Nor will it change within a week(I've seen some hobbyists that it actually has changed for them in a short period of time).
Greggz and zivvel like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode