1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jyeu90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hair Algae issue on Rotala Wallichi

Hey everyone!

I have tried searching the web to find answers on solving this green hair algae growth on my R. Wallichi. They were doing so well for the first 4 weeks and now they are starting to turn brown at the tips and growing hair algae around the leaves and stems. Though, there are new shoots coming off of them that have pink tips.

So far right now I've been keeping a 6 hour timer on my lights. CO2 dosing 2 hours before lights go on and turning it off an hour before lights go out.
It is only affecting the R. Wallichi in the tank.
I just started to dose Flourish into the tank this week. Was planning on dosing 3 times a week MWF.

Any ideas on how to control this?

I did have a case of hair algae before on dwarf hair grass that affected all the plants I had before and I threw the towel in and decided to rip them all out and restart the planted aquarium.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can deal with Algae by dosing Excel the reccomended dosage on the bottle at water changes. It will get rid of most forms of hair algae and red type algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Would I stop my DIY co2 in replacement for the excel?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyeu90 View Post
Would I stop my DIY co2 in replacement for the excel?
Keep your co2 running. Pull out as much of the hair algae as you possibly can, then dose with excel. You can also spot treat with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Repeat til necessary. There's a root cause for your hair algae. 2hr aquarist is a good read.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh I really like that article! Thank you! And I don’t think I’ll be able to pull off the hair algae on these guys I mean it’s not super long but it’s taking over the leaves...

I’ve got photos here https://i.imgur.com/UAYtIRW.jpg
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 12:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Oh I really like that article! Thank you! And I donít think Iíll be able to pull off the hair algae on these guys I mean itís not super long but itís taking over the leaves...

Iíve got photos here https://i.imgur.com/UAYtIRW.jpg
Nice tank! He has a lot of good articles there. And is one of my goto's if I'm feeling a little lost on what to do next.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Nice tank! He has a lot of good articles there. And is one of my goto's if I'm feeling a little lost on what to do next.
Thank you! Yeah I am not quite sure either on what to do next. I don't really want to dose excel if only the R.Wallichii is affected. Scared it might destroy other plants possibly? Though I am getting a solenoid to put on a timer for my DIY CO2. I'm thinking it may also be the fact of non stable CO2 levels in the tank. It does take awhile for my drop checker to turn green. Other days its been bluish yellow. One day it was more yellowish. Last couple days it was green which I was happy about. Currently its still blue after turning it on 2 hours before the lights go on with 1 BBS. Sighs I might have to take them out in the end.

Before these plants my tank was completely stripped to the substrate because of hair algae issues on my plants before. My instagram kind of shows a timelapse of my adventure with this 10G tank sighs
Econde likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thank you! Yeah I am not quite sure either on what to do next. I don't really want to dose excel if only the R.Wallichii is affected. Scared it might destroy other plants possibly? Though I am getting a solenoid to put on a timer for my DIY CO2. I'm thinking it may also be the fact of non stable CO2 levels in the tank. It does take awhile for my drop checker to turn green. Other days its been bluish yellow. One day it was more yellowish. Last couple days it was green which I was happy about. Currently its still blue after turning it on 2 hours before the lights go on with 1 BBS. Sighs I might have to take them out in the end.

Before these plants my tank was completely stripped to the substrate because of hair algae issues on my plants before. My instagram kind of shows a timelapse of my adventure with this 10G tank sighs
Yea it's hard to get steady co2 from diy methods. Use hydrogen peroxide and is readily available at most drug stores. It's the safer fix of the two. Just make sure you google the amount you'll need to use. Also to be even safer, after you use hydrogen peroxide, plan to do a water change shortly after.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

I look at your plants and don’t see any excel sensitive plants such as Vals, Hornwort or mosses, so you are safe to use excel. Compare to other commercial Algaecide such as API Algaefix, Excel is the safest one for fish, most plants and shrimp if dosed at recommended dosage. I dose the initial high dosage of Glutaldehyde (5x daily or 2 ppm) after weekly water change for years and have not encountered fish or plant death as a result, including fry born in the tank. In fact, the transitional dosage can be as high as 8 ppm as I dispense the full amount before filling up my tank.

I spot treat with H2O2 on exposed plants and surfaces during water change, but never dose underwater. Dosing H2O2 is uncertain as there is no guideline on what is the safe dosage besides difficulty in achieving any target concentration as H2O2 is highly volatile and reactive.

Neither excel nor H2O2 has cumulative effect you have to worry about as the half life of Glut is 10 hours, H2O2 even shorter, so there is nothing left after 24 hours.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
I look at your plants and donít see any excel sensitive plants such as Vals, Hornwort or mosses, so you are safe to use excel. Compare to other commercial Algaecide such as API Algaefix, Excel is the safest one for fish, most plants and shrimp if dosed at recommended dosage. I dose the initial high dosage of Glutaldehyde (5x daily or 2 ppm) after weekly water change for years and have not encountered fish or plant death as a result, including fry born in the tank. In fact, the transitional dosage can be as high as 8 ppm as I dispense the full amount before filling up my tank.

I spot treat with H2O2 on exposed plants and surfaces during water change, but never dose underwater. Dosing H2O2 is uncertain as there is no guideline on what is the safe dosage besides difficulty in achieving any target concentration as H2O2 is highly volatile and reactive.
Thereís only a little bit of some Christmas moss sitting on the drift wood. Java fern has been hit a bit with the hair algae. But as you already saw the Wallichii got hit the hardest and fastest :/ though you think excel will be definitely alright with it? And with all the other things I have going on too?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thereís only a little bit of some Christmas moss sitting on the drift wood. Java fern has been hit a bit with the hair algae. But as you already saw the Wallichii got hit the hardest and fastest :/ though you think excel will be definitely alright with it? And with all the other things I have going on too?
Excel will not affect your Java fern or Wallichii. Your moss will likely be affected, but may come back. I once dosed 2 ppm Glut daily for one week to get rid of my volunteered Java moss. What is your fine leaf stem plant that looks like Hornwort.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
This is a result of an imbalance, I don't think you have enough plants in the tank to soak up the nutrients and that's why the algae is thriving. I don't think adding more ferts is going to help.

The main issue is probably inconsistent CO2 from the DIY method. I would turn down the lights if using DIY unless you can start upgrading to pressurized system and keep CO2 consistent.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The only one that looks like hornwort is the Wallichii in the tank.

What I have in there is
Moneywort
Ludwigia Repens
Water Wisteria
Crypts
R. Wallichii
Java fern - came from old setup that I tore off the hair algae
Christmas moss - has a little bit of hair algae but I donít care about this plant in all honesty.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The only one that looks like hornwort is the Wallichii in the tank.

What I have in there is
Moneywort
Ludwigia Repens
Water Wisteria
Crypts
R. Wallichii
Java fern - came from old setup that I tore off the hair algae
Christmas moss - has a little bit of hair algae but I donít care about this plant in all honesty.
All your plants with the exception of R Wallichii are easy, low light plant. Wallichii is a difficult, high light plant, so it is a mis match which may explain why it is not doing well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode