help with silicates in tap water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a seachem silicate and phosphate for my 30 gallon planted tank. the parameters in my tank are 2.5mg/l for phosphates and 20mg/l for silicates. I tested my tap water, about 1.0mg/l for phosphates and 10mg/l for silicates. I think my silcates are too high in tap water. my tank is about 3 weeks still cycling so there is going to high silicate content from substrate/rocks etc, but 10mg/l in tap water I believe is too high causing a diatom problem. I doest not matter how much I change the water it wont get rid of silcates. How do I get rid of silicates with out r/o from tap water any help please?

sorry i ment seachem phosphate and sillica test kits

Bump: sorry i ment seachem phosphate and sillica test kits

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-16-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 12:35 PM
Planted Member

I'm both intrigued and confused! I have never heard of silicate testing being a thing in freshwater aquariums (I'm assuming your tank is freshwater, right?, as you mentioned it being a planted tank).

What was it that prompted you to test your water for silicate and what problem do you believe your current levels are causing?

Out of interest, I just looked up the Seachem test kit here and I see that it says:

"Natural sea water contains about 10 mg/L as silicate. In reef or other marine aquaria, silicate should be 1 mg/L or less. Silicate is non-toxic to fish and invertebrates, but is ideally kept below 1 mg/L to minimize diatomaceous algae. In freshwater, silicate is not critical. Usually, freshwater silicate concentrations will range in the area of 4–20 mg/L."

So, according to that, silicate levels don't matter in freshwater tanks and your current ranges are within the normal range anyway!

If you need to remove it, then how about Seachem PhosGuard?

"PhosGuard™ rapidly removes phosphate and silicate from marine and freshwater aquaria. Although PhosGuard™ is effective in both fresh and marine water, it will operate better in sea water and the need for it is better defined in sea water. It is not recommended for phosphate buffered freshwater (PhosGuard™ would remove the buffer until saturated). PhosGuard™ is highly porous and bead-shaped to promote easy water flow through and around it, thereby increasing both its efficiency and capacity."

Or maybe not...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

its not critical in the freshwater aquarium but in a planted aquarium its everything. I have a hudge diatom alge bloom beacuse there is too many silicates. I did a 50% water chage and it got worse thats why I tested my water. I have found that its high and now the diatom population doubled in my tank. so can I just put this stuff in my water change bucket over night to remove silicates. I can not put it in my filter because my tank needs phosphates for the plants.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolman91 View Post
its not critical in the freshwater aquarium but in a planted aquarium its everything. I have a hudge diatom alge bloom beacuse there is too many silicates. I did a 50% water chage and it got worse thats why I tested my water. I have found that its high and now the diatom population doubled in my tank. so can I just put this stuff in my water change bucket over night to remove silicates. I can not put it in my filter because my tank needs phosphates for the plants.
I live in MoCo Md where the water company puts phosphates in the water and we also have had silicates. I had a bad diatom outbreak. I ended up just keeping it super clean and using Seachem Phosguard (put in a mesh bag into your filter). It removes both phosphates and silicates. You'll then need to replace the phosphates if your plants need them, not sure how that works, the tank I was working with at the time did not have real plants.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok ill see first im going to try to put a bag of it in the buckets after a water change and then if that does not work ill put it in my filter. thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode